FILM Photographer of the Year 2020 Discussion Thread ***Final Scores Added***

I think I'm going to need ten votes this month.

Last day for entries folks.

I think I have an entry for this month, its just still on the roll. Trouble is I have 5 exposed rolls of b&w film in the fridge and I can't remember which one it's on, so I think I'll be busy this afternoon :LOL:

I think I have an entry for this month, its just still on the roll. Trouble is I have 5 exposed rolls of b&w film in the fridge and I can't remember which one it's on, so I think I'll be busy this afternoon :LOL:
You best get a wiggle on then. Entries close 1 hour after we’ve left Europe

Sh*t I forgot to complete a customs declaration form for my entry :runaway::LOL:
Don't forget, as well as the customs declaration your shots will now have to be entered earlier to compensate for the time difference between the UK and France, which from tomorrow will be approximately 47 years.

Sh*t I forgot to complete a customs declaration form for my entry :runaway::LOL:
Steady on now old chap, stiff upper lip and all that. If it all gets a bit much, then head for Dunkirk and we'll see if we can send a fishing boat to pick you up. (y)

Last edited:
The poll is up for January, 21 entries for last month so you have a maximum of 7 votes. Poll is up for 7 days.

Get voting!

I'm off to work but I'll get the February entry thread sorted over the weekend for all you eager beavers (y)

The February entries thread is now open for business, can it be 'stickied' please mark @TheBigYin

Feb entry is up:)

I'm glad I didn't stuff it cos I wouldn't wanna go back tbh...It was soooo spooky in there :runaway:
So dark that even the lit areas needed a 3 second exposure at F/11

That's fabulous (y)

There's a part of me wanted to wander further in ….Had I been twenty years younger then I probably would have done but I felt decidely uncofortable in there !

There's an array of passages, most of which lead to nowhere but dead ends now from what I've been told,.
Originally they were "primary routes" through the village which have been built over during more modern times.

Well, this afternoon is the first time for a while that I've blasted through a whole roll of 135 in an hour! Remembered the FilmFerrania P30 that I thought was a bit sooty and contrasty, thought I should see what I could make of it. Just checked on MDC and there's even a developing time for HC-110 now. :)

... and now it's developed. Bit of a problem, as I managed to hit the cancel button on the timer app on my phone with about half a minute to go on the dev cycle, so had to wing it a bit. I've just taken the film down from drying and sleeved it to flatten overnight. Well, there's definitely some blacks there! Most of the negatives are almost completely clear. This might well mean they're unusable; not quite sure how Vuescan will handle them. We'll see.

This was P30 Alpha, the original version. I don't think I looked very closely at the negatives for the first two films, which were lab-processed, although I did scan at least one of the films. However, this one has no marginal markings at all, no film name or ID, and no frame numbers. That has made cutting the film into strips rather a dodgy process! Hope it's ok... we'll see!

... and now it's developed. Bit of a problem, as I managed to hit the cancel button on the timer app on my phone with about half a minute to go on the dev cycle, so had to wing it a bit. I've just taken the film down from drying and sleeved it to flatten overnight. Well, there's definitely some blacks there! Most of the negatives are almost completely clear. This might well mean they're unusable; not quite sure how Vuescan will handle them. We'll see.

This was P30 Alpha, the original version. I don't think I looked very closely at the negatives for the first two films, which were lab-processed, although I did scan at least one of the films. However, this one has no marginal markings at all, no film name or ID, and no frame numbers. That has made cutting the film into strips rather a dodgy process! Hope it's ok... we'll see!

That's a shame. I've got 2 rolls of this and was hoping to see some good results....

That's a shame. I've got 2 rolls of this and was hoping to see some good results....

Looking back at the shots from the first two P30 rolls, I'm a bit happier with them than I was at the time. The frame demarcation business is caused by my shooting and exposure decisions this time, but in normal shooting the frames should be easily distinguishable. I did do a flickr album comparing P30 and FP4+ on identical cameras with identical shots, as best I could. But when I've stopped making comparisons and had a look at some of the shots themselves, I rather like some of them. Don't give up! (However, it's worth reading some of the developing advice carefully, see Scott Miccice's (?) article on Emulsive for example...)

Just been through this months entries to date and this is going to be very difficult to vote on.

The entries so far are very good photographs.:clap::clap:

Well, I've two films shot for this challenge sitting waiting for me from AG back at home... was expecting to be there today, but events have intervened. So I'm going to have another trawl through the rather thin archive-since-last-December. :(

I’ve been stuck with a nasty chest infection for over a week now and not been able to get out the house, so my grand plans for this month have gone out the window! Shame as this was the category that I was most looking forward to.

I’ve had to cobble something together this afternoon in the little bit of time I had.

Some great entries so far though.

I have just seen @ChrisR's entry and I have to say this is shaping up to be a cracking set of photos, it's going to make voting very tough indeed.

I didn't remember when I wrote the post that @Phil S had beaten me to the "black with colour" theme, very nicely too. But yes Nick, voting is going to be "interesting", specially since there seem to be a few more in the pipeline.

Unlike my predecessors @Carl Hall & @Mrs Snap I really do care about the competitors in the FPOTY so I've been mucking around with the space-time continuum and rather than the entries closing tonight as it has in previous years I've managed to get you all an extra day to get your entries in.

No need to thank me :D

Unlike my predecessors @Carl Hall & @Mrs Snap I really do care about the competitors in the FPOTY so I've been mucking around with the space-time continuum and rather than the entries closing tonight as it has in previous years I've managed to get you all an extra day to get your entries in.

I'll be more impressed if you can do it next month too! ;)

So a bit like a lock-in at a pub then. Nice one Nick. :beer:

Back