Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBigYin

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
No
Introduction

Welcome to the 2014 Incarnation of the Film Photo Showcase - a place to pull together all the amazing film shots that can occasionally get swamped in the Massive "Show us..." thread, or otherwise not given the exposure they deserve. For more details of the thinking behind this thread, have a look at the original idea thread, and don't forget to have a look at the first showcase thread which covered the end of 2013...

And don't forget - this thread depends on the activities of the members, not only in producing the shots, but nominating anything that they think is a worthwhile addition. If you see something, send me a PM - don't feel you have to constrain yourself to one nomination per week, I'd sooner have 30 "votes" to collate than 2 nominations for different shots and have to pick between the two...

Anyway, onto the main event...

Week 1 - 1st January 2014 to 7th January 2014

Well - this week we're going for something a little different from the typical landscape works, but something with a seasonal flavour...

@Solo man - Boxing Day Hunt

11797153944_6d3df1bfd8_b.jpg

This particular image stood out for me from an interesting set of 4 images - originally posted here - I just loved the youngster all dressed up for the big event, looking composed and the contrast between the two horses in the foreground who are raring to go... Congratulations Lee, the set really gave a taste of the whole event, and all the more impressive as they were from your first roll of self-developed film (FP4 and ID-11 really are a good match IMO).

Week 2 - 8th January 2014 to 14th January 2014

This weeks image is a wonderfully dark and brooding Landscape (Well, okay, Seascape)...

@cariadus - The Knap Beach, Barry

11886326126_6d979336b2_z.jpg

Original Post here

Really getting the best out of that Hasselblad 501C's square format and the lovely Distagon 50mm. I've always been a bit of a sucker for Velvia 50, and the fact that it was also home-processed only adds to the appeal IMO - it must have been wonderful to see that particular shot come out of the soup!.

Week 2 - 15th January 2014 to 21st January 2014

This weeks image is a lovely portrait, The look from the child, the light and the framing is great. Lifts it above the usual child shot!

@Robclarke - congratulations Rob

11978680414_ba29190a91_b.jpg

Original post here

Reactions: Jao
Week 3 - 22nd January 2014 to 28th January 2014

This week, we had a tie for the nominations, and frankly, I couldn't bring myself to choose between the two...

Fortunately, to save having to share the kudos, they're both by the same person...

First (purely because I'm a complete sucker for Velvia Sunsets is this stunner from @cariadus - Watchtower Bay, Barry,
Hasselblad 501C, Distagon 50mm, Velvia 50

12191503113_0f2f1779e9_c.jpg

Originally posted here

And... for the Black and White Lovers - this beautiful example showing off what the combination of Acros And Rodinal can come up with... the fantastic, almost Oily Blacks are just stunning.

12089025364_529149ab0a_c.jpg

Originally posted here

There's been some stunning images all round in the "show us..." thread over the last week - it's been a pleasure to log in and see what's been posted day by day. It's also especially gratifying to see that we're gathering a few new members, and I look forward to seeing more of their work too...

Week 4 - 29th January 2014 to 4th February

For week 4 we had a late flood of nominations, but the general consensus was that one set was outstanding, and one image in particular seemed to grab almost everyone.

Congratulations to @dave clayton for this shot, and indeed the entire set...

12307930523_120d4f65db_b.jpg

Originally posted here

Week 5 - 5th February to 11th February

For week 5 it was a pretty easy choice, I think almost every person who nominated a shot mentioned this one...

A cracking portrait, of a brilliant subject - congratulations to this week to @siman23

img407b_zps82645fbf.jpg

Originally posted here

Week 6 - 12th February to 18th February

Week 6 stays with the B&W, with this really atmospheric shot from @Sectionate shot on Delta 100, with a Red 25 filter, on a Yashica 124G.

12549828575_b79f4c62c0_b.jpg

Originally posted here

Week 7 - 19th February to 25th February

This weeks shot was by almost universal acclaim the shot Forest Light 3 by @osh - totally stunning.

12661693463_f0b20b4a56_c.jpg

Originally posted here

Week 10 - 12th March to 18th March

This week we had an abundance of riches to choose from. Rather than let some excellent images go unrecognised, I'm going to present a selection of them...

So, in no particular order of merit, just as I stumbled across them...

This shot from @Threeracers of Canterbury Cathedral originally posted here

fbimg001_zpsa1d964a6.jpg

I love the architectural details obviously, but what makes it for me is the slight traces of movement in some of the people - for me it just lifts the whole thing.

Next cab off the rank is another from RJ (@skysh4rk) of one of my favourite places in the world - Skye - originally posted here

13248120295_dce38b9e07_c.jpg

the entire set had me digging out my camping gear and walking boots (and I really hoped someone else had nominated the "hairy coo" as well...)

and just for good measure, I've a couple of others - this one from @Martpix gets the award for most unusual location shoot I think

airstream-jpg.7859

(plus I remember my Dad saying he'd been asked to try one of these helmets when they'd been trialling them...)

and finally... because we're film and conventional, and we LIKE quirky and alternative processes there's this one from @The Matt

13089338143_843abc8547_z.jpg

one of the more alternative of alternative processes I've heard of recently, and IMO a shot that for some reason I couldn't click on past.

So there we are - a bumper week this week - 4 entries (and another half dozen nominations that were hard to pass by)

Congratulations to everyone mentioned, and thanks to all the people who took the time to nominate :)

Last edited:
Week 11 - 19th March to 25th March

This week we've another shot combining Adrians interest in Black and White, Street Scenes and Bikes... Well done @Jao - entry of the week is your "Ghost Riders 2"

13200399655_99ce0b4543_b.jpg

Originally posted here

Week 13 - 2nd April to 8th April

This week we've two entries the first a lovely warm feeling shot on Velvia 50 from @dave clayton

13605652123_cd6bdca69b_b.jpg

originally posted here

and the second, a black-and-white from @steveo_mcg taken a while back, but only recently scanned - not sure if I could sit on an image that good for so long to be honest...

13608499884_1426e67ffd_c.jpg

Originally posted here

Congratulations to Steven and Dave :)

Week 15 - 16th April to 22nd April

And we're away from home again for this weeks entry - today we're travelling to Berlin for Adrian's (@Jao ) stunning architectural shot from within the Bundestag.

13954842803_12832a7e96_b.jpg

Originally posted here

Week 16 - 23rd April to 29th April

I'm afraid I'm being awfully indecisive this week - quite a few to choose from, and with only a couple of few nominations from anyone else, I've just had a trawl through myself and spotted a few stunners. So, in no particular order, here's this weeks highlights...

We've this stunningly warm feeling image of the Sze Ya Temple from @Sectionate - a lovely image Nick.

14039716375_a2ab01a0c8_b.jpg

Originally posted here

Nexk from @Kevin Allan we have this classic architectural shot of the British Museum - I was actually torn between this and the B&W detail shot, but in the end just had to go for the "broad vista"

2009-june-t70-17mm-fuji-800z-british-museum-25-jpg.10287

Originally seen here

and finally, it'd have been remiss of me not to mention the wonderful B&W set from @Southdowns shot at Cragside - to be honest I could have happily nominated any of Mark's shots from this thread, but as I've a bit of a fondness for still life type shots, I had to go for the first shot in the set.

14003492726_7fd88c0403_b.jpg

Originally posted here

(and I really do recommend checking out the entire set here, it's got me seriously thinking of a trip up there myself...)

...and to be honest, this week I could probably have dropped another 2-3 shots in here - looks like we had a bit of a purple patch folks :)

Week 17 - 30th April to 6th May

I'm a little late again this week - mainly as due to the BH we were a little low on nominations, so I hung fire for an extra day.

Anyway - it was worth the wait, as we've another selection of cracking shots... So, once again, and in no particular order...

We have this shot from Nick (@Sectionate) from his recent trip to Singapore

14053269006_afed2b30a9_b.jpg

Originally posted here

Next we have this LF effort from @abbandon - if you're on a fast internet link, treat yourself to the unrestricted size version after checking this..

13960458296_11388a239e_c.jpg

Originally posted here

Third, once again we have an offering from Adrian @Jao with a set from a couple of "Test rolls" in his F4. All I can say, is if that's a test roll, I can hardly wait to see what happens when he gets the hang of it! My favourite from this set was the "Cromer Pier Delivery"

14076277296_c1551d4c8d_c.jpg

Originally shown here

(As an aside, The reason that Booker came up with the name 3663 for it's Catering Delivery Service was that 3663 spelled "food" on the phone keypad.)

and Finally, we've got a shot that for me at least achieved all the things that the "instagram hipster tosspots" try so hard to get, yet inevitably fail to manage. One from a polaroid for a change, this one from Chris (@ped)

13888378539_d9801b8619_z.jpg

Originally shown here

Weeks 18/19 - 7th May to 20th May

Two weeks combined this time - not because there were no good shots in one of the weeks - far from it, more that I didn't want the announcements to be lost amidst all the TP Megga-Meet Announcements etc.

So, once again, we've a interesting assortment of shots, the first of which being this lovely B&W image taken by @djguru at the Ulster American Folk Park in Omagh.

13993638340_7dd689f6c1_b.jpg

Showing just what a nicely exposed and carefully developed frame of roll of Adox CHS 50 Art is capable of rendering.

Originally posted here along with a couple of additional images which are well worth a second glance.

Second, is this shot from @Sectionate which manages to perfectly combine 3 of my interests - Film Photography, Architecture and Cycling.

14007746559_3a8dc2419f_b.jpg

originally shown here

and finally, and by pretty overwhelming popular nomination, we have this truly stunning image from @strax of the Old Man of Storr

original.jpg

Well worth the hours climb in the dark lugging the Bronica ETRS, I'm sure you'll agree...

Originally shown here

Hopefully Normal service will be resumed from next week, so keep your nominations coming in.

Weeks 20/21/22 - 21st May to 10th June

Okay, so much for "Normal service will be resumed from next week" - three weeks of complete madness work-wise has pretty much swamped any computer time I could spend, so rather than just let this whole thing slide, I've rolled the updates into a singel 3 week update.

Enough waffle, on with the pictures.

First Image (purely on a chronological basis) is this lovely still life from @Kevin Allan - looks like the recent experiments in wet printing and Sepia Toning were a success.

print-scan-sepia-009-jpg.12275

Originally shown here

Second, we have this Cafe / Camera Society shot from @medwaygreen

img021CS5_zpsa62f55b5.jpg

originally shown here

Third, we have a lovely Environmental Portrait from @skysh4rk at the the Kilmacolm and Port Glasgow Agricultural Society Annual Show - hard to fault any of the shots in this set to be honest, but the "leaning on the gate" pose really brought back memories of Market Days back in Masham.

14320989823_cabbf78813_c.jpg

Originally shown here

and finally for this update, theres this image from @southernjessie of the Tulip Stairs inside the Queen's House in Greenwich.

tulipstairs_xp2-jpg.13473

Originally shown here

Once again, apologies for the delay, and congratulations to everyone who got a shot nominated or added to the thread.

Summer Catch-Up Post...

Weeks 23 through 35 21st June - 20th September

Yes, I know I've been very remiss with this thread (and indeed in general spending time on the forum - it's that "Real Life" thing getting in the way - sometimes you have to do things to pay the bills, to the neglect of volunteer work), and I'm afraid after a couple of missed weeks, I'm sure you all lost heart and stopped bothering reporting shots...

Anyhow - as there aren't any reports, I'm just going to have a trawl through the photo-sharing bit, and drop in a few of my personal highlights from over the summer - maybe it'll get things kickstarted again.

So - first off is this from @happygolucky

14500026193_213f615c3a_c.jpg

Originally posted here

and this Pinhole shot from @Kevin Allan

14520185123_8c11ec3173_b.jpg

originally posted here

@FujiLove

20140702-20140625-fuji-superia200-135-033-jpg.15213

originally here

@D_M_J

14374492109_db8d9a4b09_o.jpg

Originally here

@Andysnap

14634085831_495a7fc3be_b.jpg

and
14635187074_8338618bb6_b.jpg

Originally here And a couple of posts further down...

@Robclarke

14799459995_174984a38f_b.jpg

Originally here

Catch Up Continued...

@Threeracers

FBimg003_zps83aa7951.jpg

Originally here

@SlimShaney

s15.jpg

Originally Here

@osh
15036785490_39c2c53338_c.jpg

Originally Here

@Andysnap

15269571595_05382acedf_b.jpg

originally here

There we are, a quick selection of MY personal favourites over the Summer. You've obviously all been busy shooting and I'm extremely envious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back