Finally added a second monitor to my imac 27 - looking for tips/advice etc

Edit My Images
Yes
Good morning one and all. So after having it in the back of my mind for a rather long time, I finally went ahead and added a dell 27" screen (u2715h) to my imac.

I must say, I'm delighted with how easy it was to set up, so no hiccups on that front.

However, I'm keen to hear from photographers on how they get the most out of a dual setup. I'd love to hear of some little tips and tricks and timesavers that fellow dual wielders have picked up over the years :)

Also - how close have people managed to get the two different screens to colour match? Obviously, given that they're different screens I'm not expecting them to be identical, but it would be nice if they could be close. I have yet to run my spyder 4 pro on the dell (will do so this evening).

And the final quandary - i now don't know which screen i ought to be using as my primary editing / proofing screen. The imac screen seems to have a more contrasty and punchy tone to it, but again...this is pending a proper setup.

Would love to hear some feedback :D

I often have considered to add another screen to my imac but so far havent,i would want to know most answers to those questions first though.
Will watch the replies

I use two screens and my working is like many others I know, In Photoshop I have all my tool panels open on one screen and the image on the other one.
I also use Bridge and have it open across both screens on my left screen I have the thumbnails and right side a full-size image of the one selected.
Non-photo work just one program on one screen and whatever on the other screen such as my emails.

There are various ways of working with two monitors. I use the second monitor (Eizo) to show the "finished" processed image, while using the computer monitor (iMac) in the "Develop" mode.
Much better explanation here:
http://blogs.adobe.com/jkost/2013/09/using-lightroom-with-two-monitors.html

thanks for that link - very helpful.

I'm interested to know why you edit on one screen but show the finished on the second? Is it just to make sure they look good on both? How closely have you managed to match the eizo with the iMac?

I use two screens and my working is like many others I know, In Photoshop I have all my tool panels open on one screen and the image on the other one.
I also use Bridge and have it open across both screens on my left screen I have the thumbnails and right side a full-size image of the one selected.
Non-photo work just one program on one screen and whatever on the other screen such as my emails.

yeah i keep meaning to start using bridge. I've been doing a lot more photoshop editing recently, but it's usually loading an already edited image from lightroom into ps to do some final touches. Is Bridge worth getting into?

How closely have you managed to match the eizo with the iMac?
I bought the second monitor to get more accurate colour, wider gamut, good tonal separation and consistency from corner to corner.
The Eizo monitor is far superior to the iMac screen, so there is no point in "matching", (whatever that means). I calibrate both independently, the iMac with ColorMunki, the Eizo with its built-in calibration sensor.
In the way I work in Lightroom, when post-processing, changes made in the "Develop" mode on the iMac are reflected immediately in the image on the Eizo. Therefore I am viewing an uncluttered full screen image on the Eizo at the best possible quality, but the processing is being done on the iMac screen menus.
Others may have different ways of working.
I'm interested to know why you edit on one screen but show the finished on the second?
I don't need the second monitor when "editing", as editing in LR is a different activity to post-processing. But that's maybe being pedantic!:)

I use my connected monitor for any editing or photo viewing. The built in screen on the laptop is used for anything where the calibration is not really necessary. Normally while I'm editing, I will have netflix or the web open on the laptop built in screen.

yeah i keep meaning to start using bridge. I've been doing a lot more photoshop editing recently, but it's usually loading an already edited image from lightroom into ps to do some final touches. Is Bridge worth getting into?
I like to work this way, Lightroom makes a database of your images to work on, this all take up space extra folders got the copy thumbnails and edits info to be applied on your image.
With Bridge you are looking at your RAW files and can do so much there ACR is what Lightroom develop mode is so your doing the same job with the same tools. Lightroom default colourspace is ProPhoto which is the same that I use in Photoshop.
I bought the second monitor to get more accurate colour, wider gamut, good tonal separation and consistency from corner to corner.
The Eizo monitor is far superior to the iMac screen, so there is no point in "matching", (whatever that means). I calibrate both independently, the iMac with ColorMunki, the Eizo with its built-in calibration sensor.
In the way I work in Lightroom, when post-processing, changes made in the "Develop" mode on the iMac are reflected immediately in the image on the Eizo. Therefore I am viewing an uncluttered full screen image on the Eizo at the best possible quality, but the processing is being done on the iMac screen menus.
Others may have different ways of working.

I don't need the second monitor when "editing", as editing in LR is a different activity to post-processing. But that's maybe being pedantic!:)
How? you take your RAW file and process it after you taken it.

Back