Finally caught up with a Barn Owl

Name
Adam
Edit My Images
Yes
After many hours/days/weeks/months of searching, finally found a Barn Owl local to myself.

It was just as sun was setting so there is a strong winter sun lighting it up, now I know where it is spending its time I hope to get many more captures including some good BIF shots

Barn Owl by Adam Sibbald, on Flickr

Rear shot of it pausing over potential prey

DSC_1907 by Adam Sibbald, on Flickr

Excellent, well spotted :)

Lovely Barn Owl shots. The feather markings are beautiful.
Thank you Ian, they are so beautiful up close

Love the colour contrast is that first image. Beautiful shot that makes me think cold, winters morning.
Thank you Dunc, the light really did fall perfectly last night, the stars aligned !

That first shot is a corker, Adam - looking forward to seeing more! (y)

Russ
Thank you Russ, hope to get many more shots in the coming weeks/months.

Excellent, well spotted :)
Thank you Jak, the hours of looking finally paid off !

Good shots
Thank you Jeff

Barnies are lovely. Hope you'll get more opportunities.
Thank you Des, something about Owls they are just mesmerising to watch

no 2 is a belter
Thank you Holty, I normally ignore shots that are not face or side on but I really loved the way the wing detail stood out

Great find Adam, couple of nice shots...........no SEO this year?

Awesome, on my hit list, if I can find one.

Great find Adam, couple of nice shots...........no SEO this year?
Thank you, I seen one in the usual spot in January but was on the bike cycling along the road past the field when it flew off so no pic, spent a good few hours waiting with camera on various occassions but no joy, someone else managed to see two on same day in same place so were a few about but worry the bad weather had a really bad impact this year again.

Reactions: RKC
Love the first one Adam, I'm sure you'll improve on the flight shot soon enough - flying away doesn't do much for me,

On a side note, if the exif on Flickr is correct I'd strongly suggest upping the ISO. 1600 on a well exposed D500 file will be easy to process - and higher than that if you're happy behind the computer - and will give you a much higher keeper rate.

Looking forward to the next batch

Mike

Love the first one Adam, I'm sure you'll improve on the flight shot soon enough - flying away doesn't do much for me,

On a side note, if the exif on Flickr is correct I'd strongly suggest upping the ISO. 1600 on a well exposed D500 file will be easy to process - and higher than that if you're happy behind the computer - and will give you a much higher keeper rate.

Looking forward to the next batch

Mike
Thank you Mike and hopefully you can see your lens has gone to a good home. I was wishing I had my Z7 attached to be honest for the static shots and extra pixels and silent shutter but good to know about how high you think the D500 can go too

Loving the flight shot, a bit different to the norm. Nice one.

Thank you Les, I have put in some hours and will carry on putting them in especially now the nights are drawing out and soon they will be out more as they should have young to feed (fingers crossed)

Don't say that Adam - I could be in Ilfracombe in around an hour :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Nicely done right place right time some excellent detail on flight photo,certainly flight photos always
difficult to obtain you did well there.

Nicely done right place right time some excellent detail on flight photo,certainly flight photos always
difficult to obtain you did well there.
Thank you and was very lucky, sunset behind me, owl turn up in right place! It’s been miserable weather since and not seen since.

Hahahaha I need to update my location i forum to Exmoor now I’ve moved :) and your welcome anytime once this lockdown is over

Oh Exmoor is even closer to me - I will gladly accept your kind invite Adam, when the time is right fella :)

Same this end- I know a few good spots out on the Somerset Levels, so maybe you could come here if you love wildlife ?

Les :)

PS I have "Followed" you on Flickr too

Last edited by a moderator:
Back