Finding that perfect location - maps related

Name
MG
Edit My Images
No
I work long days so when i come to do photography every minute counts. So a lot of my time i spend online looking for possible places to shoot.

I'm really looking for a way to view the height on an area on a map, so i can find the place i want to photo and find the best vantage point, without having to psychically drive around endlessly trying to find which area may be best.

Are there any ways of seeing the height of an area above sea level?

I ideally want to use something like google maps which shows the height of the area, so i can then scout out the best possible places. However google doesnt seem to offer this?

For example i'm wanting to take a picture of our local steel works, so this area is huge. I'd like to find the highest area within say 1000 meters.

OS maps? Pretty sure there's an app for that!

To get something that detailed, Ordnance Survey is probably your best bet.
You can get contours on http://photoephemeris.com/ but not so detailed. One useful feature though is the position of the locator pin will show height aswell as coordinates.

Reading the contours on an OS map should give you the information you need although it can be a bit painstaking in certain areas.

I will sometimes consult Flickr and look at others photos of the same spot (although often I don't due to not wanting to be 'influenced' unduly) as most subjects have been covered from most viewpoints.

3D Aerial view on OS Maps will give you a good indicator of the lie of the land, but you can't get down low enough sadly to really work out the ideal vantage point.

Back