Fine ARTchitecture *Pickled

Processing wise it has that look I know you're trying to emulate. Find a more striking building and do what you did and you're there.

Personally though why does fine art architecture photography have to be a dark b&w?

I quite like that, very good (y)

Another attempt...

9f8d1229f07396e2cb1a931efea2b1ce

Last edited:
Another attempt...

For my taste that last one is rather overcooked. Maybe it's to do with the size reduction for posting, but the edges of the windows are breaking apart like there was some slight mismatch in masking, especially on the left hand side. I think you could afford not to go quite to pure white; the midtones are almost all gone and the transitions of tone are just too abrupt.

There's a case for high contrast b/w where the original image is sufficiently strong as a graphic composition to take it, but I must confess I don't think this one is quite there.

Lovely shots, really striking. I like this style too - tried it out a few times with the Lloyd's building in London, it has some great shapes.

@Musicman Thanks for the feedback - yes, it definitely looks better in LR than it does posted here, but I have pushed this one a long way, you're right - can see how it could be too far for some tastes

@mothdust - Thank you for looking and commenting. I'm early into it, but quite enjoying looking for compositions and buildings that I think could work in that style.

I really like this style. That Mary Rose shot caught my eye, but I'd like a smidgen more detail in the lower part of the shot (could be my screen brightness is too low mind you).

I really like this style. That Mary Rose shot caught my eye, but I'd like a smidgen more detail in the lower part of the shot (could be my screen brightness is too low mind you).

Thanks Ian, on my screen there is some detail in the lower portion, but I deliberately kept it quite discreet down there - the detail is more apparent on 500px however, so may be a forum compression issue too

I too like these. I find the first one posted to be the best it as that class feeling about it. The others I like but feel like they have been proccessed much more (maybe wrong) they seem to lack the polish you acheived in the first.

Gaz

@Ian W - yep, intersting buildings or buildings with a graphic quality and a good sky make all the difference I am finding.
Glasgow has a good mixture of old, characterful buildings and new, clean office blocks with plenty of glass, metal and colour.

I have the 18-55mm, but may see how I get on with the 10-24mm first.

Your really getting your hand and eye for these architectural shots very well done (y)

Back