Finlay

Name
Dan
Edit My Images
Yes
I love this shot of my son simply for the fact that he never lets me take any of him. I was gobsmacked when he stopped and posed for this, i wish i'd made the most of it and fired off some more but it was darn cold.

I also wish i'd had a reflector to bounce some light into the eyes but they aren't the sort of things you take on family walks.

Anyway, C&C as always most welcome.

It's a great candid shot IMO, and I like the processing. [emoji3]

As soon as I saw the image it reminded me of the cover of the book 'Kes'...............

Processing a little dull/muddy for my taste but good capture non the less.

Hi Dan. Nice shot. I quite like the slightly off centre composition. A bit of exposure compensation could have helped get a bit more light into his eyes but when going for spur of the moment shots it's easier said than done.

Maybe adding some whites into the shot could lift it a touch?

It's a great candid shot IMO, and I like the processing. [emoji3]

Thanks, took me a while to settle on the processing.

As soon as I saw the image it reminded me of the cover of the book 'Kes'...............

Processing a little dull/muddy for my taste but good capture non the less.

Thanks, had to google Kes but yes i can see that. I realise the pp is not to everyones taste, but i felt it fitted in with the cold and miserable day it was.

Looks a great picture :)

Cheers mate.

Hi Dan. Nice shot. I quite like the slightly off centre composition. A bit of exposure compensation could have helped get a bit more light into his eyes but when going for spur of the moment shots it's easier said than done.

Maybe adding some whites into the shot could lift it a touch?

Thanks, i may play around with some crops as i think would prefer an even more off centre composition but didn't want to chop the top of his head off. Spur of the moment is always hard and you always think about what you should have done after the event.

Yes a lovely exspression and perfectly placed in the frame.
Gaz

Hi

It's great when they actually want their pic taking!!

Agree about the Kes look!

Also agree about needing a little more light around the eyes - be that in camera exposure/fill flash/reflector.

Difficult to remember it in the fly, especially when they surprise you with being compliant!! Nonetheless it's a good capture. A slight pp adjustment might lift the eyes a little!!

Shaheed

Hi

It's great when they actually want their pic taking!!

Agree about the Kes look!

Also agree about needing a little more light around the eyes - be that in camera exposure/fill flash/reflector.

Difficult to remember it in the fly, especially when they surprise you with being compliant!! Nonetheless it's a good capture. A slight pp adjustment might lift the eyes a little!!

Shaheed

There is a great tutorial on here for making eyes pop/dodging. I have used it on many occasions (Photoshop). It's not a cure all but has its place and is very useful - give it a whirl sometime:

https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/resources/make-those-eyes-pop.78/

Thanks guys. I have used that tut a few times too

I will have a play later but i think they are never going to 'pop', i may be able to give them a lift but too much done in post and it just looks unnatural imo. I've not gone into photoshop with it yet, only Lightroom so maybe i'll get better results in ps.

I really like the shot & processing just as it is, has a nice tone to it. Excellent candid, nicely done.

Thanks Mike, took me a while to settle on the processing. I still keep going back to it, i've done another edit where i've lifted the exposure slightly on the face. I must leave it alone......

Back