Fire spinning

Name
Anna
Edit My Images
Yes
After trying in vain to decide whether they count as portraits, sports, scenery or something else, I've decided that my fire spinning photos will go here!

I'm very proud of them, whether deservedly or not, and I'd love some criticism / flattery!

Rather than I post them all in here, please click the link to check out my Fire Spinning gallery.

I've already got ideas swirling in my head for next time, and any suggestions for improvement would be welcomed. Thanks!

/EDIT: Ok, I'll embed the pictures, that seems to be how things are done here! (Still quite new, but I'm getting it!)

#1 Yin Yang
3588946493_4623d6d6bb.jpg

#2 Pattern
3567411698_c3057b781c.jpg

#3 Spirograph
3623311647_ddd611a724.jpg

#4 Butterfly
3567413084_deac99afab.jpg

#5 Symmetry
3624110300_893c94dfca.jpg

#6 Trifoil
3567412486_f42ebaeef0.jpg

#7 @Poidaddy
3566609289_228eedcffd.jpg

#8 Elaborate
3587018947_a22a1aed89.jpg

#9 Cradle
3587846634_f749d87e5a.jpg

#10 Wings

3624133432_3b12418790.jpg

Last edited:
One thing in particular I'd appreciate tips on is fill light. I haven't really tried using fill light much yet, so, yeah... anything could tell me...!

Wow, there are some impressive shots there (I think 8 and 9 work best personally).

I'm not sure you need any more light in there to be honest. There is enough there to see the person if you want to, but not so much that it detracts from the fire itself.

Certainly looking forward to seeing more of these (y)

Thank you! Well, there's certainly more! It's just a matter of deciding which ones are fit to be seen by you lot ;)

You have some awesome shots there!! i did some fire shots in the garden (it was hard to do coz i was spinning and pressing remote shutters un stuff but they came out okay, you have done So well and clearly have some mates who are uber good spinners :) Me likes them :)

No10 is awesome!

I love the background lit up building.

Great idea for photos too. It reminds me to get my fire clubs out this summer - I used to burn myself a lot with those in my youfff.

Great set! Something really out o the norm! (y)

Superb photos, 14, 6, 8 and 9 for me ...... and exactly how would you learn how to do this?:)

learn to fire spin or learn to take the photos? the photos are done with a long exposure (about 2/3 secs) and a flash :)

I really like seven - it's different. I like the last one too - awesome stuff.

Gary.

Thanks so much everyone! Great to get some feedback. Do you know if anyone's uploaded something like this before?

You have some awesome shots there!! i did some fire shots in the garden (it was hard to do coz i was spinning and pressing remote shutters un stuff but they came out okay, you have done So well and clearly have some mates who are uber good spinners :) Me likes them :)
That is tricky! Yeah I'm very lucky to have such talented friends, it makes my job so much easier ;)

No10 is awesome!

I love the background lit up building.

Great idea for photos too. It reminds me to get my fire clubs out this summer - I used to burn myself a lot with those in my youfff.

Great set! Something really out o the norm! (y)

Thanks! yeah I was really lucky with the location. I hadn't been there before, but the building was lit perfectly, my hat goes off to whoever did that.

Superb photos, 14, 6, 8 and 9 for me ...... and exactly how would you learn how to do this?:)

The poi spinning / devil sticks? With much, much practise. Cardiff has a juggling club apparently, there may be something similar in your area. Having someone to teach you makes it a lot easier!

learn to fire spin or learn to take the photos? the photos are done with a long exposure (about 2/3 secs) and a flash :)

Shutter speed was about a second for most of these; I used a rear-curtain flash on #7 to freeze the image after doing a clever twisty zoom thing that I'd learned that day (hold the lens still and rotate the camera body.) I love the effect! It works wonderfully with fire, as it's bright enough to stay clear for the whole spiral. The end result is that I look like I was standing very close to the flame!

Right, these photos are two that I don't feel quite worked. Do you agree with my reasons? Can you help me with any suggestions?

3567408690_1012522e91.jpg

I used the same twisty zoom thing on this shot, but it was still daylight, so I didn't use a flash. The result is washed-out and grey. I still kind of like it, but brighter colours and more vivid fire would probably have helped matters.

3566606277_3491f0855e.jpg

I adore the twilight blue of the sky, but why did it 'reflect' in the grass? I occasionally get this blue cast with my D40 for no easily discernible reason; possibly something to do with the white balance?

I feel like the composition isn't great, too. Perhaps moving to the left and positioning the fire on the right 3rd would have helped. And maybe more sky would have been better.

What do you think?

Back