Firecrest.

Name
Richard
Edit My Images
Yes
Had to be incredibly quick to capture this, no hide, just incredibly lucky encounter. Heard singing and just stood stock still. Many out of focus or with no bird in the shot at all.

1)

32799823653_d4c57ccd4c_k.jpg
[/url]DSC_4655r

2)

33484694211_ffb7a9d24f_k.jpg
[/url]DSC_4605r

Lovely, we have a Goldcrest that flits around outside but I've never seen a Firecrest, well captured as they are flighty little things.

Very well done on the capturing of these - not an easy task at all.

I think they could be improved on even further with a little more care in the PP department though. It's great to see you using such a high ISO, I doubt you'd have got the shot if you hadn't and the quality is there, it just needs a bit less noise reduction on the bird, and when it's resized correctly for here and sharpened just a touch more, it gives the shot a real boost.

View attachment 98544

Mike

Very well done on the capturing of these - not an easy task at all.

I think they could be improved on even further with a little more care in the PP department though. It's great to see you using such a high ISO, I doubt you'd have got the shot if you hadn't and the quality is there, it just needs a bit less noise reduction on the bird, and when it's resized correctly for here and sharpened just a touch more, it gives the shot a real boost.

View attachment 98544

Mike

That looks a touch overcooked for my liking, somewhere in between the two would be ideal I think.

Very nice captures :)

Truly stunning bird and nicely captured. I think Pooleys version is un-natural tbh.
Are these native to the UK as I have never seen one ?

Thank you for all your comments, much appreciated. Firecrests are our smallest resident bird. The Firecrest populaion is relatively low, RSPB suggests 550 breeding territories.

Excellent images. I'm yet to see a firecrest!

Detail is good, top stuff!

Cracking capture !

2 nice images, well done on getting the shot. Haven't seen a Firecrest this year, there's hope yet ;)

Regarding the crit, I can't say that they are particularly sharp as others have said. They seem to have had a lot of noise reduction, at least on my monitor anyway? And maybe a composition with the bird off centre would suit it better?

Just my observations of course (y)

Keep up the good work!

What a beauty little bird, never even heard of those. Wish my 'small bird' photos would come out anything like as good as those.

2 nice images, well done on getting the shot. Haven't seen a Firecrest this year, there's hope yet ;)

Regarding the crit, I can't say that they are particularly sharp as others have said. They seem to have had a lot of noise reduction, at least on my monitor anyway? And maybe a composition with the bird off centre would suit it better?

Just my observations of course (y)

Keep up the good work!

Have to agree with you Wez they a very nice capture and I would be more than happy to get one but these but on my monitor they are very blurry and certainly not sharp? Maybe a very big crop at a guess to start with plus noise reduction/sharpening as made it worse? Or a combination of them all?

Have to agree with you Wez they a very nice capture and I would be more than happy to get one but these but on my monitor they are very blurry and certainly not sharp? Maybe a very big crop at a guess to start with plus noise reduction/sharpening as made it worse? Or a combination of them all?

Having a D500 myself, I have to agree. (Just got hold of a D3S, as a backup, and plan to see what it's like for birding this weekend). I prefer Mike's edit with the sharpening. Might also be that they're displayed very large in this thread when a bit smaller would probably look a lot better.

Very good shots though @Brecksbirder and could you possibly say what you did when you processed these? I would appreciate it as I'm learning too (y)

Last edited:
Not big crops but quite a lot of noise reduction as ISO a min of 2000 I think. I'm not particularly good at post processing and in particularly masking. They may not be the best but I don't think I'll get better and I'm still 'a happy bunny'. I use photo elements 12. Took out high lights and dark spots 1st, then reduced noise by increasing luminescence and then further reducing noise by Nik Collection Dfine2. Then a general light overall sharpen in Elements. Probably all wrong and better options but that is my limit at the moment.

Last edited:
Back