First attemp at Landscape Photography

Name
Graeme
Edit My Images
Yes
Last edited:
i do a lot of fly-fishing on large reservoirs - so know how difficult it is to 'capture' the image - but IMO images 1-3 dont work here

#4 i like --- but would crop the sky down to put the sun on the 1/3 line - thus getting rid of the con-trails too....:D

#5 is good - ignore the ''blown highlights'' comments that may come - mornings on the river are 'exactly' like this...(y)

Yardbent said:
i do a lot of fly-fishing on large reservoirs - so know how difficult it is to 'capture' the image - but IMO images 1-3 dont work here

#4 i like --- but would crop the sky down to put the sun on the 1/3 line - thus getting rid of the con-trails too....:D

#5 is good - ignore the ''blown highlights'' comments that may come - mornings on the river are 'exactly' like this...(y)

Thanks for the critique could you elaborate on 1 to 3 is it the composition? Is it nd/grad filters I need?

For me, the first three images look too empty somehow. Maybe it's the combination of blue water and blue sky that looks to samey.

The fourth one is great and might look even better in B&W. I love the colours and the dreaminess in the fifth.

My tuppence worth (for what it's worth!):

1. Foreground rocks lead nicely to the upper 2/3rds single rock but then.....dragged off to the side to the tower.

2. I reckon this one's quite close. A bit less prominince of the foreground/more to the tower again and it'll be there abouts: a lot of rocks on the bottom right keep my eye there.

3. Myself, I'd have maybe gone for a much lower angle (if possible) and less sky.

4. Quite nice :) I'm sure the trees are leaning to the left but I'd be tempted to do a little CW rotation, even if just to see if it looks better to us, the viewer :)
And yes, a bit off the top :)

5. Ahh, yes! Nice! A touch unbalanced by empty space on the right, perhaps?

Lovely light in all of them!

Last edited:
My two cent

#3 crop out the wall
#4 B&W
#5 crop on right side so to frame the sun inbetween the trees

My slightly obscure opinions..

#1 - crop out the entire wall & sky, leaving just the rocks & water....I think it would look quite a serene image

#2 - sorry, it doesnt grab me - I can see what you are trying to do - maybe try a lower view and try to get something interesting from the rocks?

#3 crop out the wall again - this will make a lovely image I think as the water is so clear and you have captured the small pebbles at the bottom

#4 - a great shot - clean frost and I love the shadows of the trees - would lose the plane trails though

#5 - another lovely image - I wonder if a slower shutter would improve it by making the water a little less rippled and perhaps enhancing the mist? Not sure though. I love the colours and the sun breaking through the mist.

nice image kep it up you have a good eye I realy like 4 with the shadows of the trees.

all the best:D

Back