Critique First attempt at a long exposure(ish) water shot

Name
Nige
Edit My Images
No
I decided to have a go at long exposure water shots today, which is something I've not really tried before.

I used a cheap Hoya ND3 filter that I've had for ages but never used plus a cheap Hoya CPL filter on the 18-55mm Nikon kit lens. This is a blend of four shots (5, 3, 1.3 & .5 secs) at f/11 to get more dynamic range (and I edited out a magenta cast - presumably from the ND filter - as best as I could in Lightroom). For a first attempt I'm quite happy with it. I'll have to try it out in some other locations now (this particular place is only a 5 minute drive from home, so seemed a good place to experiment). :)

As this is the first time I've tried this, I'd be happy to take on board any critique or tips that you might have. Thanks.

Moss Weir
by fishyfish_arcade, on Flickr

Last edited:
more water will make it more interesting bearing in mind its a small area you have done...and well
the trees march away with the impact
i think these shots need to have a lot of fuzzy water in them
cheers
geof

ps the water doesnt know how much you spent on your filters...:D

Just the right amount of movement in the water for my liking. Opinion varies on such matters but for a first attempt I'd say you're doing OK.

Good first attempt. I like the water, but also like the golden reflection of the trees. Both good, but together I'm not getting a single point of focus, as I'm constantly darting between the moving water and the still reflection. Hope that makes sense.

Thanks.

Yeah, I agree the composition could be improved - maybe with different lighting, or perhaps at a different time of year (maybe with some autumn colour). Today was more of an experiment to see how the limited gear I have would work though, so I chose a nearby location. The weir isn't bad, but maybe there's a better angle to be had if I spend more time. Here's a shot looking the other way (this one was just a single exposure)...

Moss bridge
by fishyfish_arcade, on Flickr

Back