First attempt at a newborn shoot

Hi Jahir
Good first attempt - I too like the 2nd image more as there's more emotion and the processing suits it well. Here's a few pointers (just my opinion of course, and please don't take this is a criticism of what you have produced)
  • A lower POV works better for these kind of shots
  • Raise the head up higher than the feet - this stops it looking like he / she just face-planted and it makes them look more comfortable. A rolled up towel or small pillow helps
  • Tilt the head more towards you and get the near arm / hand more under the cheek
  • Scrunch baby up more and cross the feet (if baby doesn't mind) Be very aware of circulation in this position - if feet or toes are going purple it's not right and needs to be moved
  • Naked always looks better on these shots as bright jazzy all-in-ones detract from the soft baby idea
  • When using fluffy covers damp your hand / fingers and flatten the fluff directly in front of baby's face - that way you still get the soft look but you also see the face and ideally the hand / arm underneath the cheek & chin
  • Watch the white balance. I'd also be tempted to use a coloured background or something with a pattern or even apply a texture in PP to add a bit of interest, but beware of detracting from the subject
  • Tiny detail on 2. - having the baby's hands more symmetrical
Overall really good effort and the idea of 2. is very nice.
Regards
Jim

Hi Jahir
Good first attempt - I too like the 2nd image more as there's more emotion and the processing suits it well. Here's a few pointers (just my opinion of course, and please don't take this is a criticism of what you have produced)
  • A lower POV works better for these kind of shots
  • Raise the head up higher than the feet - this stops it looking like he / she just face-planted and it makes them look more comfortable. A rolled up towel or small pillow helps
  • Tilt the head more towards you and get the near arm / hand more under the cheek
  • Scrunch baby up more and cross the feet (if baby doesn't mind) Be very aware of circulation in this position - if feet or toes are going purple it's not right and needs to be moved
  • Naked always looks better on these shots as bright jazzy all-in-ones detract from the soft baby idea
  • When using fluffy covers damp your hand / fingers and flatten the fluff directly in front of baby's face - that way you still get the soft look but you also see the face and ideally the hand / arm underneath the cheek & chin
  • Watch the white balance. I'd also be tempted to use a coloured background or something with a pattern or even apply a texture in PP to add a bit of interest, but beware of detracting from the subject
  • Tiny detail on 2. - having the baby's hands more symmetrical
Overall really good effort and the idea of 2. is very nice.
Regards
Jim

Thanks Jim, exactly the critique I was looking for :) It was the first time I did anything like this, good fun but I have a lot to learn.

Loving the second shoot mate. I'll remember that one as this is my first real post here.

Nice, second is fav for me too.. .. .. Jim's critique is a great read too .. .. always good to get pointers as i've been asked to do some baby shoots in the past.

Lovely photo's, would love to have the ability and the chance to do newborn photography.

I like the second image, I think it's very unique.

I also like the critique, will help me when I'm trying to capture similar images.

I love the second one, personally I think the watch is quite distracting on the left, but none the less, really nice shot.

Back