First attempt at a star trail

Name
Stef
Edit My Images
No
So my 300mm f4 has gone for repair so i decided to have a go at some night sky photography.

We went to a site about 60 miles from where we live & spent the whole night from 12-8am on a rock, freezing! :D I know theres some light pollution and some mist was present (crystal clear forecast) which was disappointing, no chance of trying the Milky Way which is really what I wanted

I had a go at some star trails (be gentle) so this was 25 shots at 30 sec, ISO 400 @ f3.5 using the Tokina 11-16, stacked with StarStax.

p2257293707-5.jpg

This is something I had seen and wanted to try. Flashed Ben (my o/h) with my head torch & I expanded him by a couple of pixels in PS to sharpen his outline

p2257293709-5.jpg

Last edited:
Know nothing about star-trails Stef but looks impressive to me :)

A good first attempt but I would lose the first few frames as the camera has been nudged, the 1st part of the trails are slightly out of line and then there is a gap between the exposures. If you can restack leaving out those exposures it would be a great shot.

A good first attempt but I would lose the first few frames as the camera has been nudged, the 1st part of the trails are slightly out of line and then there is a gap between the exposures. If you can restack leaving out those exposures it would be a great shot.

Ahhh ok. Thank you, will have a look at it this week and see what I can come up with.
I had exposure delay set but I think the ground wasn't 100% solid as it was heather-y. Possibly nudged when I stepped away.

We'd never seen the location in the daylight until the sun came up so we were blundering round with head torches. Was a great night tho [emoji4]

I rather like the effect that the light pollution playing on the bottom of the mist gives in the first but think that there's just a tiny bit too much light on the rock in the foreground. Looking forward to playing with the newly available 15' shutter speed that a recent firmware update has given me in my X-T2 Fuji. Going to somewhere with good dark and clear skies in a couple of months.

I really wanna have a go at this. Inspired by your 1st attempt. Really like both images.

Excellent, love the second shot (y)

Back