First attempt at astrophotography

Name
Daniel
Edit My Images
No
Despite having no real previous experience shooting anything but humans, I've recently gained an interest in astrophotography. This shot is from my first little trip out, and I would love to hear everything wrong with it, and how I can learn to fix those problems :D

I will be having a good read through the discussion forum as soon as I get a chance! :)

37993643244_090e5d51c0_c.jpg

I’m sure @MWHCVT will point you in the right direction.. A good subject to start with, I didn’t realise you were local, Matt sometimes organises local (ish) meets for a bit of the dark stuff..

Cheers buddy @Cheffievrs looking at the photo there’s really not a lot wrong at all, I notice however that your using a 10-20 lens but at 20mm, if you’d shot at 10mm instead of 20mm you’d have first of all been able to open up your aperture that little more which does make a difference with Astro stuff like this to pick up the dimmer stars, secondly you’d have also been able to shoot a longer exposure before risking visible trailing in the stars, you’d have been able to do a little over 30 seconds vs a little over 15 seconds at 20mm

On the plus side:
- the composition is nice, and i like this monument on the horizon.
- the white balance pleasant
- the colours look lovelly.

On the critic side of things:
- I don't think you achieved a prefect focus to infinity. The star are looking a bit blurry but i could be wrong because i can only see a small image.
- it looks pretty noisy especially in the purple colors
- i think you cannot see a lot of stars, was this shot in total darkness? Is this a light polution glow at the bottom?

What was it processed with?

Cheers buddy @Cheffievrs looking at the photo there’s really not a lot wrong at all, I notice however that your using a 10-20 lens but at 20mm, if you’d shot at 10mm instead of 20mm you’d have first of all been able to open up your aperture that little more which does make a difference with Astro stuff like this to pick up the dimmer stars, secondly you’d have also been able to shoot a longer exposure before risking visible trailing in the stars, you’d have been able to do a little over 30 seconds vs a little over 15 seconds at 20mm

Thanks! I went with 20mm purely for the composition. The little hut looked a bit lost shooting at 10mm. In hindsight, I feel like I should have got my 24mm f/1.8 out for it. I will be sure to test out the longer exposures on the 10mm next time I head out!

On the plus side:
- the composition is nice, and i like this monument on the horizon.
- the white balance pleasant
- the colours look lovelly.

On the critic side of things:
- I don't think you achieved a prefect focus to infinity. The star are looking a bit blurry but i could be wrong because i can only see a small image.
- it looks pretty noisy especially in the purple colors
- i think you cannot see a lot of stars, was this shot in total darkness? Is this a light polution glow at the bottom?

What was it processed with?

Cheers for the feedback!

I did struggle a lot with the focus, just whacking it up to infinity seemed to look out of focus so I was playing around with it but didn't quite nail it.
I had my camera on a very high ISO at this point (I was just testing stuff out) which is a bit of a shame.
Although I thought I was basically in the middle of nowhere, there was a fair bit of light pollution around apparently - it amazed me how few lights can cause such a dramatic effect on the image!

I just ran it through Photoshop and played with some curves and preset effects - it's not something I've done before so I was a bit stumped when it came to editing the shots.

Looks great for a first attempt Daniel, I did the same as you a few weeks ago. I also found the focusing the hardest part in Live View! Well done though, nice shot!!

Back