First attempt at HDR - Craster to Low Newton

Edit My Images
No
A few from a walk between Craster and low Newton. First attempt at HDR, some issues with the sun and flare but appreciate any comments.

Last edited:
I think you can be happy with those, you haven't fallen into the trap of going too far overboard with it which is good.

Decent first attempt fella, you should be pleased with them. You havent over cooked them and If you hadnt have said I might have struggled to realise they were HDR

Extremely sympathetic first attempt and nice views too.

The only thing that leaps out at me are the wide bands of paler sky above the hills especially in the first three.

Thanks.

I really don't like overly processed HDR.

It was a really bright day with lots of harsh light, not much interesting in the sky but big differences in the shadows around the darks, I thought HDR was about the only way of really capturing this.

These were mostly made with 5 shots at 1EV increments. Is 7 better? Should I be reducing the difference in between frames?

I like the second one best in my opinion. They don't look overboard either! you managed well with the flare situation.

Thanks.

I really don't like overly processed HDR.

It was a really bright day with lots of harsh light, not much interesting in the sky but big differences in the shadows around the darks, I thought HDR was about the only way of really capturing this.

These were mostly made with 5 shots at 1EV increments. Is 7 better? Should I be reducing the difference in between frames?

Me neither (overcooked HDR shots that is) - I've been using the 32 bit HDR with PS CC using the power of ACR- I normally take 6 exposures, -3 to +2 in 1 stop intervals.
It has by far become my favourite processing technique and the results speak for themselves.
Nice shots BTW.

They look a bit flat to me, particularly the first four shots. This is a very common trap with HDR - but it's easy to fix. Try layering over tone-merged image the darkest frame in darken mode with the opacity set around 20%, then adjust the opacity up and down until the shadows get a little more definition and the depth comes back to the image. Detail definition in the shadows comes at the expense of depth definition, the tricky bit is in finding the balance between the two.

Back