First attempt at Motorsport - Brands Hatch

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
I've wanted to try and shoot Motorsport for a while now, so I went to Brands Hatch yesterday to watch the BARC championship. The weather wasn't particularly great with it raining every 5 minutes, and I struggled to find somewhere where my view wouldn't be blocked by a fence :(
I wanted to try some panning shots as I've never done it before, and I only really worked out the technique/settings towards the end of the day, after shooting with too much of a high shutter speed for most of the day. It's a lot more difficult than I thought it would be, but definitely something I want to do more of :)

Anyway these are the best I managed to get, I know they're all a bit similar and there is a wire fence in most of them, but any critique and tips would be appreciated :)

Brands Hatch 29/08
by Andy Bunyan, on Flickr

Brands Hatch 29/08

Brands Hatch 29/08

Brands Hatch 29/08

Brands Hatch 29/08

Brands Hatch 29/08

Good start but a longer lens would have got you closer to the action.

If you go again you can get closer by going to the inside of Druids. There is a bridge just up the hill from where you took these. For paddock hill you can get a few slightly elevated spots over the fence but 200mm plus is best.

:agree: also there are lots of places on the GP circuit that only have waist high fencing if you are going again. The cars are close to you on some corners but you do have to put the legwork in to get variety.

Good start but a longer lens would have got you closer to the action.

If you go again you can get closer by going to the inside of Druids. There is a bridge just up the hill from where you took these. For paddock hill you can get a few slightly elevated spots over the fence but 200mm plus is best.

:agree: also there are lots of places on the GP circuit that only have waist high fencing if you are going again. The cars are close to you on some corners but you do have to put the legwork in to get variety.

Thanks guys. I agree that a longer lens would have helped a lot, as it was my first time shooting Motorsport so wasn't sure how well I'd manage with the 28-105mm, but I think a 70-200mm is required next :)

We also arrived fairly late so didn't really get a chance to walk around, I kind of found a half decent place and stayed there lol. But I know the places you're talking about so I'll try them next time I go :)

I think you would be better off with a longer zoom than 70-200 you should look for a Sigma 50-500 or the latest 150-600 if you are really interested in motorsport and that is your primary reason to get one, there are also 70-300mm lenses available

I would love to have seen some shots of the karts from inside Druids, with the drivers exposed they would have looked great, you missed a good opportunity there Andy. Always try to walk the circuit and have a think on what will work, then give it a go. There are usually a few photographers under the trees just to your left in these shots, you can capture the cars/karts out on the kerbing there, but those guys do have some decent gear. There is a feast of motorsport at Brands during October,see if you can aquire a 70-300 or longer, give it another try, and good luck.

I think you would be better off with a longer zoom than 70-200 you should look for a Sigma 50-500 or the latest 150-600 if you are really interested in motorsport and that is your primary reason to get one, there are also 70-300mm lenses available

Yes longer lens would certainly help

Excellent start, as everyone else has said you need a longer lens

I would love to have seen some shots of the karts from inside Druids, with the drivers exposed they would have looked great, you missed a good opportunity there Andy. Always try to walk the circuit and have a think on what will work, then give it a go. There are usually a few photographers under the trees just to your left in these shots, you can capture the cars/karts out on the kerbing there, but those guys do have some decent gear. There is a feast of motorsport at Brands during October,see if you can aquire a 70-300 or longer, give it another try, and good luck.

Thanks for all your feedback :) I definitely agree with the longer lens comments, I'm sure it will open up a lot more opportunities. I guess that will be next on the list!
That's also a good shout about shoot the karts at Druids, I think I got a little bit comfortable where I was, should've moved around a little bit! I know where you mean about slightly to the left, I did have a quick go there but 105mm was massively restricted, I think 300mm+ would've been ideal.

As a starting point the panning looks pretty smooth indeed! Longer lens as above will make all the difference

Back