First attempt at sports- Rugby.

Edit My Images
No
Hi.

Got up very early yesterday morning to get some lovely shots of Durham Cathederal and the riverside.

However, the weather had different ideas - with horrible dull skies and rain.

As a result, we ended up at a car boot sale at Blaydon rugby club. After the boot sale, we noticed that the youth team was playing Darlington. So as not to waste the day, we decided to try our hand at some sports photography - never done this before, but enjoyed the day. Also got talking to the coach afterwards who said he'd like a copy of the images - so all not lost!!!

As always, C & C greatly appreciated.

Used AF for all of these - but beginning to think I need to learn to manually focus very quickly ;)

Cheers Anth.

rugby_7_.jpg

rugby_6_.jpg

rugby_5_.jpg

rugby_4_.jpg

rugby_3_.jpg

rugby.jpg

rugby_1_.jpg

rugby_2_.jpg

Nice set of photo's but agree with NATJAG number three is a bit naff, two reasons for this,in my opinion, No 1 dof is to shallow, No 2 is the fact that you cannot see the ball

Love the last one...to me it make a great caption pic.... could be one of a number of things....

1. He's hit his head and the Physio is trying to convince the player to think he is actually confused and injured...looks like he's trying to hypnotise him!
2. He's done something fatally wrong and let the team down and the manager is just about to explode into "Its all your fault"...

Great stuff...

#5 is great - although as a rugby player I would of liked to of seen more of the sweet spot (between the posts).

#3 isn't that bader shot and I know how quickly the scene can change with guys running in to back up the player on the ground and its got a couple of good facail expressions.

overall :clap:

Thanks a lot for all your comments - I agree with andrewc about the back of heads, would have liked to get a few more action shots with the ball in view!!!

The story behind number 6 ....

The captain of the opposition (in the red shirts) had just been sent off for stamping. As he was being sent off, the guy in black with the long hair decided to get his team to clap him off. Obviously the ref wasn't happy with this and decided to 'have a word'. ;)

Bad sportsmanship, but a great photo opportunity.

Not had any phone calls asking me to cover the world championship final yet though!!!!!

Cheers,

Anth.

the last one deserves an entry into a caption competition!

Thanks people.

Some good and useful links there ta.

Aye, I was quite pleased with what came out especially as I have never done sports stuff before and was expecting a day of landscapes!!!!! Just shows - no point putting yourself in a box!

As regards a caption, I'll get the ball rolling ....

"I didn't know you had dandruff !!"

Poor I know. But if you can do better .......

Cheers, Anth.

Numbers 1 and 6 for me boss. Nice stuff - did better than I did last weekend... :)

Nice pics Ant but something appears to be missing. Maybe you could talk to Bootneckstu about some advice on how to shoot sports properly. He has done a good job here:
I feel he has captured his chosen game in a far superior way than you. What instant compact were you using anyway????? :D

Hahahah.

You can tell you don't know me yet loafer as you know under normal circumstances i would kill you for such a comment!!!

Saying as you're a young student, i shall let you off this once!!!!

Stick to photographing wheelchairs buddy, before you're in one ;)

Anth

Saying as you're a young student, i shall let you off this once!!!!
QUOTE]

"Young student" Thats the nicest thing anyone has ever said to me. Ever.

On a serious note though, my favourite has to be the image of the guy in the No. 10 shirt looking out into the field. Probably upsetting for Stu seeing that and brought back memories of being the last to be picked at school. :p

Loafer ...

Okay - I cheated slightly. I know Stu is the oldest on your course, and as he is younger than me, that technically makes you a 'young student; ;)

That number 10 guy had a very interesting game .... he came on as a sub ... then was sent off minutes later for stamping!

PS - calling me AND stu in one post might not be the best move you ever made - us Geordies stick together ;) But you're right about him being picked last ;)

Cheers.

Anth

Back