First attempt with macro lens

Hi guys, be gentle. Picked up a bargain 105 afd micro and this is my first go with a macro lens. Light and DOF are proving tricky. Honest crit welcomed and encouraged as I want to get better!

The Cost of Photography.....Is it money or time? by Sir SR, on Flickr

the joy of a digital camera is you can take a shot ....a la polaroid...then adjust the exposure in line with that
as for dof it is consistent with aperture...so you will find you are using slow speeds or too high iso
use a tripod
and if you can focus manually and check the dof with the preview facility on your camera if there is one
if you use auto focus...then its a bit hit and miss and you will need to lock the focus on the nearest object in your study then recompose
hope that helps
i have problems with close up shots as well..it aint easy being me!!
cheers
geof

It is difficult, what i found helped me a lot was to tether with pc and take multiple shots with different focus points. When I last played with macro (reverse extension tubes, so full manual only), i was using my old EOS 350D which didn't have onscreen preview and the viewfinder was very small and dark so i would tether to pc and take multiple shots, using the pc screen to decide if i needed adjusting.

Great shots and keep up the good work!

Back