Beginner First Attempt

Edit My Images
Yes
So here goes my first attempt at a portrait type shot using my other half as the guinea pig (shh, I didn't say that). Appreciate any feedback you have.
I do feel that maybe it needs some negative space to the right but I didn't really get any shots that I could explore that option very well with

Leigh1
by Darkness Shines on Talk Photography

Can't edit original post so...I'm also a little unsure about the back eye being out of focus with the shallow DOF. Should I be aiming for both eyes in focus or does this work as is?

I think it works as it is but a little more dof wouldn't hurt it i don't think. You'd still get the dreamy background.

I also like the contrast of the warm tones of the face and hair with the cooler looking background. Also like the lipstick as it really catches the eye.

Can't edit original post so...I'm also a little unsure about the back eye being out of focus with the shallow DOF. Should I be aiming for both eyes in focus or does this work as is?
I don't mind it but some people get their knickers in a twist about it.

First comment would be that this photo is well worth clicking on to access the larger version. Next would be that she has wonderfully coloured eyes and the shock of the lipstick really sets off her eye colour. The OOF hair in the background works well and I really wouldn't have seen the slight OOF back eye as an issue. Where I think a little help is justified is in taking out the red line from the white of her front eye as this is quite noticeable and doesn't help the photo. A few more sessions will hopefully follow and this would probably result in a more relaxed expression and maybe a bit more glam on the clothing front. Onward!

I think it works as it is but a little more dof wouldn't hurt it i don't think. You'd still get the dreamy background.

I also like the contrast of the warm tones of the face and hair with the cooler looking background. Also like the lipstick as it really catches the eye.

This and

A few more sessions will hopefully follow and this would probably result in a more relaxed expression and maybe a bit more glam on the clothing front. Onward!

This sums it up nicely for me.

Ditto Davids comment here "I also like the contrast of the warm tones of the face and hair with the cooler looking background. Also like the lipstick as it really catches the eye"

As a great glow about it.

Gaz

Good first go!

The following is just my opinion so feel free to ignore it!!

For me, portraits are all about engagement.

Photographer with the subject and as a result camera with subject.

I have an oversize teddy that I use to check my settings with. I then "start" the session once I'm happy. This stops the faffing when the subject is good to go.

Once the subject is good to go, relax, talk to them normally and take a few pics whilst doing this. Make it fun and the pics will reflect this.

DOF wise,I sway back and forth about being bothered by it. If shooting shallow I tend (at the mo) to have both eyes on the same focal plane. If not, make sure the one nearest camera is sharp and in focus.

I personally like a bit of negative space but each to their own!! In the above pic I'd loved to have seen more direct eye contact. I think you could have had a very striking image with more engagement with the camera.

Great that you have a willing model and I look forward to seeing more of your work.

Shaheed

Many thanks for the comments. I removed the red from her eye for this particular photo but I'll certainly take on board all other comments. I look forward to coming back to this photo when I have more experience and seeing what has improved..at least something I hope!

It's all been said, but getting models to pose, especially the Mrs is bloody difficult when you first start.

What I find helps is having a vision for the shot in the first place. Maybe use a shot from a magazine or something you've seen someone else do. Obviously if you've got your own ideas then great. Just make sure you know what you want to get from it and how you plan to do it in advance.

Nice effort for your first go though!

Good first go!
For me, portraits are all about engagement.

+1! Definitely a good effort!

To me engagement doesn't necessarily mean you need eye contact - but you do need to be aware of what the eyes are doing. With her eyes so far off to the side it looks a little as though she has been startled into looking at something in your direction and is about to turn her head. Which is fine, if that's what you were intending. I think a different eye position will make more difference to the results than any changes of lighting, processing, framing, DoF or whatever.

One more small thing which you might like to consider (and feel free to ignore!).. women often look more elegant if you can see some of the neck. Often this means moving the hair nearest the camera so it falls behind the shoulder rather than in front.

Back