First Attempt

Edit My Images
No
Don't laugh... OK, well have a good belly one for free. Here's my first try at star photography. Hopefully you can make out the Plough. It was taken on a Canon Coolpix P90 bridge camera – the tiny 1/2.33" sensor, I guess, is really evident – with a Nikkor 4.6mm at f/2.8, ISO 800, 8 s.

I really struggle with the focusing with the camera.

z5KE1Tc.jpg

No apologies necessary. I'm just grateful someone took the time and trouble to post a reply (a lot of topic views but completely understandably no help apart from yourself).

Regarding the picture, well all I can do is set the camera/lens parameters, put it on my sturdy tripod pointing skywards, set the self-timer delay and press the shutter release.

My understanding is that the 500 Rule is not liked by many anymore, but as general estimate it gives a suggested shutter speed of around 19 seconds, but the P90 maxes out at only 8 seconds (no bulb setting) and shoots in JPEG only. Is the noise likely due to the relatively high ISO of 800 for the tiny 1/2.33" sensor?

Here's the view at ISO 200:
0JUEi0Z.jpg

It would be good to know if anyone has managed to take pics of the stars with an old point-and-shoot / bridge camera; get recommended settings etc.

Not a bad first attempt! At least you can make out the stars! I think you’ll struggle of 8 secs is your max. You can work around the noise but really you’ll want to be getting up to 20 secs especially at iso 800. Can you take the iso any higher?

Not a bad first attempt! At least you can make out the stars! I think you’ll struggle of 8 secs is your max. You can work around the noise but really you’ll want to be getting up to 20 secs especially at iso 800. Can you take the iso any higher?
I went up to ISO 3200 via 1600:
Bu998A8.jpg

qTfy0s5.jpg

looks like there's quite a bit of light pollution - where were these shot and what time of night? It's quite important for night photography to go somewhere nice and dark. Coast works looking out to sea. Also, were those constellations quite low in the sky? It's usually clearer/darker further up...

looks like there's quite a bit of light pollution - where were these shot and what time of night? It's quite important for night photography to go somewhere nice and dark. Coast works looking out to sea. Also, were those constellations quite low in the sky? It's usually clearer/darker further up...
Thanks for help Tom. Yes, light pollution is a problem, the virtually full moon was out too. They were taken around 11pm. I'd estimate the declination about 35–45°.

Ah, the moon is a killer, so coupled with light pollution you’re fighting a losing battle. You might well be surprised with what your camera can do but you’d need to go somewhere very dark without a moon, crank the iso up and have a go at stacking the images to reduce the noise (
View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MoaqgbQsAms&t=169s
)
Takes a lot of effort and planning though but you can get some nice images, especially of the Milky Way. Not the best time of year for it though. If you’re really keen I’d do some research and have another go. Are you near any dark sky sites?

Yep, there's too much light pollution here. This is with my new Fujifilm X-A5 14-45mm at f/3.5 15mm ISO 200 for 20 secs. Maybe a bit long as there's some trailing. I was hoping being 100 ft up and on the outer part of the city would save me from the worst of the light pollution, but no.
COA455G.jpg

Whack the iso up more, it’s too low at 200. I usually start at 1600 and go up if needed.

Judging by the blueness it looks like you have taken it quite early in the night, you need to wait until a bit later so its properly dark.

Back