First attempts with Raynox Close up lens

Name
Barbara
Edit My Images
No
It was a dull day, and we had curry for dinner. I couldn't think of anything else to test my lens on so here they are:

2303158664_0209b7edca_o.jpg

2303158872_bbe7d7d3d5_o.jpg

2303159106_5648c7654b_o.jpg

I know my focus is a bit out, still trying to get the hang of it. C&C welcome please.

Number one is maybe the best of the 3 :)
(IMO it could have.... not too sure something is not quite right mabe composition) :shrug:
(What curry did you make ??)

Hi Gibbo, I wasn't really thinking about composition. I'd just bought a Velbon CX mini tripod and was trying it out on my desk. Just had to push all the rubbish out of the way. These 3 way pan tilt heads take some working out so no time left for composition! I must get a smoother background. The canvas material seemed a good idea until it got magnified!

We had chicken Korma - it turned out quite nice.

HWG. Im unsure what is wrong I was guessing with comp.
I just cannot put my finger on what I `think` is wrong (if anything) :shrug:

It is something I should try sometime then I will understand the problems with closeup work (y)

Ummm Chicken Korma eh! ummmmm :love:

Nice start HWG, keep at it and you will only get better. Can't offer much in the way of C&C as I don't know what your setting were. I say use f.11 shutter 1/200 iso 100 or 200 and flash for best results and do this hand held you don't need the tripod.

Nice start HWG, keep at it and you will only get better. Can't offer much in the way of C&C as I don't know what your setting were. I say use f.11 shutter 1/200 iso 100 or 200 and flash for best results and do this hand held you don't need the tripod.

Hi Alby, Thanks for your kind remarks. Settings I used were 2sec @ f11, ISO 200, 200mm end of my lens, with Raynox 150, manual focus, and no flash, set up on tripod as using no flash.

Problem with flash is that it is leaving a shadow of the lens, I have still to try using your patent milk bottle diffuser as I have only just got a bottle of milk with a removable label and waiting to finish the bottle off.

Attempts I have tried with flash and hand held haven't been too good (apart from the lens shadow) as I cannot seem to hold the camera steady enough. Problems with carpal tunnel syndrome (too much photoshop) and arthritis in thumb joints.
Any suggestions to avoid camera shake would be appreciated.:help:

I second using a faster shutter speeds (1/200 or faster when using a 200 mm lens) and a flash, possibly with a diffuser, this could work well: http://www.flickr.com/groups/macroviewers/discuss/72157594312315664/ .
Also, using the string stabiliser (you know, we chatted about it in a thread here) to make moving back and forth easier.
Ajophotog knows what he's writing about above. F11-F16 usually does the job well (I prefer F11-F14). Any less and you're likely to have nearly no DOF to work with.

An external flash with a bounce card would help, I have a Sigma 500 Super and it's great. I haven't really tested it on anything meaningful yet, though.

Alright, it could use a diffuser, but it's a little better than the built-in flash and there's no shadow from the lens:

The bad guy (it's dry jam! Honest!):
thebadguycropsmalljpgtr8.jpg

I second using a faster shutter speeds (1/200 or faster when using a 200 mm lens) and a flash, possibly with a diffuser, this could work well: http://www.flickr.com/groups/macroviewers/discuss/72157594312315664/ .
Also, using the string stabiliser (you know, we chatted about it in a thread here) to make moving back and forth easier.
Ajophotog knows what he's writing about above. F11-F16 usually does the job well (I prefer F11-F14). Any less and you're likely to have nearly no DOF to work with.

An external flash with a bounce card would help, I have a Sigma 500 Super and it's great. I haven't really tested it on anything meaningful yet, though.

Alright, it could use a diffuser, but it's a little better than the built-in flash and there's no shadow from the lens:

The bad guy (it's dry jam! Honest!):
thebadguycropsmalljpgtr8.jpg

Hi Slapo. Beware the jam monster! Thanks for your tips - I will keep on trying and maybe eventually I will produce something decent. It looks like I am going to have to put another item (flash gun) on my wish list.

:thinking:

I don't think you'll be sorry for getting an external flash unit, it's pretty versatile :)

Btw., I quite like your shots above, although I'd try to keep more space between the objects (and their shadows) and edges of the frame if possible. It just feels kind of neater to me.

I don't think you'll be sorry for getting an external flash unit, it's pretty versatile :)

Btw., I quite like your shots above, although I'd try to keep more space between the objects (and their shadows) and edges of the frame if possible. It just feels kind of neater to me.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Advice taken on board, now I'm just saving for my flash.

Back