First (decent) motorsport shots

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
No
I went to Silverstone with Joe T on Sunday for the F3 / GT day. Previously I couldn't get a decent motorsport shot to save my life :crying: . Joe taught me how to pan properly (thanks once again Joe (y) ) and these are a few of the results. I'd apreciate any comments, good or bad!

IMG_0447.jpg

IMG_0448.jpg

IMG_0643.jpg

Looks like Joe's taught you good (y)
All look good, but 1st is my fave (its a Porsche, so that helps :geek: :D ).

Rich

How do you pan properly, please tell me.. lol.

Great shots.. Last one is my fav.

Thanks guys - I must admit I like the Porsche one too.

Nath - what Joe taught me is that it's all about the correct technique and you have to be prepared to bin a lot of your shots. I took about 350 on the day and ended up with about 20 that I would consider good - maybe that's coz it was my first attempt? Here's what I learnt:

Use shutter priority at around 1/200th - 1/250th (the slower you go the better blur you'll get but it becomes harder to keep the car sharp) and set the AF to servo. Pick a point on the track where you want to actually shoot the car, pick it up in the view finder early, follow it round and when it is at the place where you want to actually take the shot, release the shutter. Here's the important bit - keep following the car after you've taken the shot, follow through kind of like a golf swing. The idea is to match the camera swing (or panning speed) to the speed of the car, so if you have the camera stationery as you release the shutter the car will be blurred. The other thing is to stand relaxed and not tense, try and pan in a smooth action. I hope that makes sense! The shots above were taken on my first attempt using this technique so I hope to improve my success rate over time.

Oh one other thing, the angle of the shot is created by angling the camera, not by cropping in PS.

I don't like tilted shots

Personally I think it adds interest to what would otherwise be a fairly ordinary shot. It's a matter of personal preference I guess :shrug:

lol :LOL:

I would concentrate on my panning skills first beford adding the contraversial tilt. It's much easier to get a nice sharp, straight slow shutter pan than risk cocking it up by tilting.

Tilts don't do it for me, sorry

Thanks guys - I must admit I like the Porsche one too.

Nath - what Joe taught me is that it's all about the correct technique and you have to be prepared to bin a lot of your shots. I took about 350 on the day and ended up with about 20 that I would consider good - maybe that's coz it was my first attempt? Here's what I learnt:

Use shutter priority at around 1/200th - 1/250th (the slower you go the better blur you'll get but it becomes harder to keep the car sharp) and set the AF to servo. Pick a point on the track where you want to actually shoot the car, pick it up in the view finder early, follow it round and when it is at the place where you want to actually take the shot, release the shutter. Here's the important bit - keep following the car after you've taken the shot, follow through kind of like a golf swing. The idea is to match the camera swing (or panning speed) to the speed of the car, so if you have the camera stationery as you release the shutter the car will be blurred. The other thing is to stand relaxed and not tense, try and pan in a smooth action. I hope that makes sense! The shots above were taken on my first attempt using this technique so I hope to improve my success rate over time.

Oh one other thing, the angle of the shot is created by angling the camera, not by cropping in PS.

me thinks a practice this weekend is comign :)

Back