Beginner First ever attempt a portrait

You probably want to ask a mod to move this to the photo sharing / critique forum rather than 'Talk People and Portraits'

It's a highly creditable first attempt. The eyes are sharp, the light on the face - though a little harsh - gives some nice 3 dimensionality. You've caught a nice, natural expression.

There's a fair bit of post processing to get the background white which has resulted in some of the hair detail being lost. Or perhaps the background was just too bright?

That's all detail, though, the biggest improvement would come from either making eye contact with the camera OR having her look more deliberately out of the frame; at the moment with her face pointing at the camera but not her eyes it doesn't quite grab the attention the way it should and it's neither one thing nor the other.

um, if this is your first portrait - why use flashes? I'd personally try natural light outdoors and then try to understand how strobes work.

much better than my first attempt so I take my proverbial hat off to you.

I think its all been covered about the lighting and the main distraction with her not looking towards the camera which would suit that pose

Back