First few astrophotography attempts

Name
Tom
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm just getting into night sky photography and really enjoying it. It's surprisingly fun sitting in the middle of nowhere in the middle of the night with a thermos of tea and a camping chair... I live on the edge of Dartmoor and fairly close to the South Devon coast so I have a plenty of nearby locations. Here are my first attempts (the ones worth posting). The first two are Start Point lighthouse and the second two are Sharp Tor on Dartmoor.

LR MW PANO by Tom Pinches, on Flickr

Lighthouse FINAL by Tom Pinches, on Flickr

Jupiter rising by Tom Pinches, on Flickr

Sharp Tor MW Pano by Tom Pinches, on Flickr

The first two are absolutely stunning. Unfortunately I live in Manchester and even with the world in lockdown there's just far too much light pollution for me to try.

Same. And basically an echo. What an amazing world we live in eh?

Excellent set well done, keep posting :)

Fantastic!!! That's just you getting started? Wow.

Question: Is the milky way so curved because you straightened the horizon in art software?

I agree with the others, these are fantastic and don't at all look like the work of someone just getting started! The second one is my favourite.

Fantastic!!! That's just you getting started? Wow.

Question: Is the milky way so curved because you straightened the horizon in art software?
The Milky Way appearing as an arc is because it’s a panorama. So you start the panorama on the core of the MW and keep going round until you get to the point where it reaches the horizon on the other side. It’s like how a really wide fish-eye makes the straight horizon look like an arc.

I should add, the reason they don’t have the aspect ration of a panorama is because you do more than one layer, so you go right to left, then up and then left to right.

absolutely superb, can't make my mind up whether no.1 or no.2 my favourite

First two are beauties, great start to your astrophotography.

Really, really nice, that first pic! Few images I see on this forum make me go 'wow!' like that one did.
I live on the edge of Dartmoor and fairly close to the South Devon coast
Do you know; I've actually been to Budleigh Salterton.

It's true.

These are great photos! Was this taken with the gear listed on your profile?

Back