First foray with HOYA IR72 (infra-red) filter

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
Wishing to try infra-red photography but not jump straight in with a converted camera I opted to dip my toe into it with a HOYA IR72 filter. Mine is a round filter and only fits my 20mm f1.8 lens, and after a few test shots at home my first proper use was on hols earlier this month on the south coast in the Barton-on-Sea - Christchurch area

I found an exposure that worked as f11, 30 secs, 100 ISO on the brightest days, and slightly less bright I went up to 200 ISO rather than get my phone out to time a 1min exp, and all these are within that 1 stop range

My first shot was 7:28 a.m. on a rocky groyne, with my second shot being the 2nd groyne along 4 hours later - I was chilling :) The horizon lump far left is The Needles at the end of the Isle of Whight

David Goodier Photography-006 1 - TP version.jpg

David Goodier Photography-011 1 - TP version.jpg

The next day we nipped into Christchurch itself, and I took a few more snaps as wifey shopped

The white streaks on the water by the harbour are Swans moving during the 30 secs exposure

David Goodier Photography-017 - TP version.jpg

David Goodier Photography-026 - TP version.jpg

David Goodier Photography-028 - TP version.jpg

A few more in a sec :)

In this one I've blended the colour version with the IR one on the lifebuoy

David Goodier Photography-033 1 - TP version.jpg

David Goodier Photography-040 1 - TP version.jpg

David Goodier Photography-042 - TP version.jpg

David Goodier Photography-056 - TP version.jpg

This final one is just across the harbour at Mudeford, and I chatted with the old dear who owns the one on the right. She tells me she's been coming 50 years here and owned this one beach hut for 30 years !!!

We later discover one is for sale for - wait for it - £280,000 !!!

---::---

Anyone else dipping into IR photography & wishing to share a few tips would be more than welcome :)

Dave

All interesting images, but the first one in particular, lovely sky texture and general light.

#2 brings more attention to the surreal idea that it's a lamp :) I like it.

Nice work! :) I converted a camera to IR a few years ago after going through Cokin, and then the Hoya filters, and looking at yours, I do miss long exposure IR! Instant results are great and all, but actually long exposure really adds a lot to the infrared effect! You don't appear to be having any obvious hotspot issues either, which is something I always had to contend with.

Nice work! :) I converted a camera to IR a few years ago after going through Cokin, and then the Hoya filters, and looking at yours, I do miss long exposure IR! Instant results are great and all, but actually long exposure really adds a lot to the infrared effect! You don't appear to be having any obvious hotspot issues either, which is something I always had to contend with.

Its funny but when I first looked into IR everyone was telling me to get a converted camera for 'normal' exposure times, but my vision had always been for long exposures anyway so I'd still have been adding my 10-stopper, the HOYA seems to be about 13 stops so its perfect :)

I do have a hotspot on this lens but its not too hard to hide and only really showed itself badly on the church shot

What wavelength did you opt for on your conversion?

I might still do this one day as I fancy the false colour too and I've not cracked that via a filter - some say it can't be done, others have given me advice that's not worked for me as yet

Dave

went for 720nm, same as the Hoya, as it just seemed the least troublesome option really. Don't get me wrong - the normal exposure times are great and really expand the creative options available to you! My problem is I'm too lazy (or I get nagged into hurrying up) so whilst I could do long exposure and have the tools to do it, I don't, and that's a regret. I miss the way of working! I miss the fact it slows me down and forces me to be disciplined and properly prepare the camera (having to change to IR settings, composing and focussing first, covering the viewfinder, etc) rather than snapping.

To be honest, I'm struggling with false colour on my converted camera - I just don't seem to get results I find satisfactory, or replicate what I see from others, and I'm a bit undecided about how much I like false colour anyway so haven't persisted! But I really should....

I've just upgraded my main body to FF, so now have a D7100 sitting around doing nothing, and am tempted to convert that to full spectrum and trade in my IR converted D90, but can't decide whether that's really going to add anything to my experience, or just be a faff... Meh!

very nice! lovely and some dramatic IR shots there (y)

I am very fond of IR photography and like to do it especially on my travels. Converted camera's are not required but certainly helps in certain cases like getting false colours. Also since I like doing travel IR shots, long exposures isn't always an option.

Last edited:
Back