First go at droplets/splashes

Name
Carl
Edit My Images
Yes
As above, first go - but boy did I enjoy it! The patterns are all very unique.

Droplets by Carl Harrison, on Flickr

Thanks for popping in.

Took with a 600d, neweer cheapo flash, sigma 105mm macro lens. All handheld (as I forgot my tripod plate, doh!) manual focussing. Took 1,427 images over 3 hours, got 115 keepers so well pleased with the end result, considering I thought I might only get a dozen keepers from the lot.

Last edited:
Nice Carl, I know very little about this type of photography but they look good, would like to see a lower angle shot though. What speed light or studio flash you using and what speed is it?

Nice Carl, I know very little about this type of photography but they look good, would like to see a lower angle shot though. What speed light or studio flash you using and what speed is it?
food bad, fill it with some full fat milk (or water or whatever liquid though I wouldnt put petrol in there lol), hanging off a bar (in this case a C-stand)

Any flash gun will do, long as you got a trigger setup, in this case, I pretty much used my macro setup (£30 neweer manual flash) 200th of a sec, ref the eye-level shots - to be honest, being first time I tried this type of shots, (1) I didnt have enough milk to fill the pyrex dish up - and it was a large dish, at least 5 litres for me to shoot eye-level without getting the dish "lip" in the shot so went as low as I could to get the lip out of the shot and some over-top shots

Really nice Carl...no wonder you're pleased ...1.427 images ...I can identify with that :) very well done.
cheers susie - I really enjoyed it, I think I could have got more sharper shots with a tripod, but I would have been restricted with the angles I could achieve too - but the macro shooting techniques helped i.e. holding breath, leaning into shot

Cool fun there Carl…
but I knew you were crazy! ;-)
i had nothing better to do on a lazy sunday morning :D

Love these shots but I really enjoy having fun with droplets too.
Never tried using milk as I normally use water plus squash/food colouring for, well, colour.
Well done!

Gr8 set of shots Carl not tried shooting these for a long while but they are great fun to shoot :) the last lot I did with a black plastic food tray and a dripping tap in the kitchen :)
Like you say everyone comes out different !

Well done Carl!!!! I can imagine you took that many - I tried it once... few years back. Your keeper rate is was much MUCH better than mine! lol! Those are awesome! Have you ever seen the kits you can get for these? Where you can regulate the timing of the drips and tie it all in with your flash / camera... but then it almost takes the fun out of it.

I bow down to you, sir.. awesome results!

Have you added the colour PP Carl ...I love the colour of that first one.
Yes, I did add some food colouring but I found it wasn't doing "enough", so I just played around with either hue adjustments just to tint or used the gradient paint-bucket as a layer though I now prefer to just use the hue adjustment. I've just spotted some dust-bunnies that I left in there doh. I really need to clean my sensor on the 600d, its not been cleaned for 3 years -.- (I've only blown out whats loose with a rocket-blower).

Well done Carl!!!! I can imagine you took that many - I tried it once... few years back. Your keeper rate is was much MUCH better than mine! lol! Those are awesome! Have you ever seen the kits you can get for these? Where you can regulate the timing of the drips and tie it all in with your flash / camera... but then it almost takes the fun out of it.

I bow down to you, sir.. awesome results!
Thanks Bethy - I have seen that "expensive" kit for double-droplets etc.. but there must be a el-cheapo way of getting the drops to follow quicker (I imagine its to do with how big the hole is and how much air is available to force it through) - appreciate the kind comments but to be honest, I think if I hadn't have been doing macro photography, I might not have been able to do the focussing, I literally thought (prayed) I'd get 10 good shots for all the time put in so was surprised myself how well a lot of them came out. I might try and fudge my own little device - maybe some medical drip-feed design would do the same thing.. I'll have to see

EDIT: A quick google revealed "kits" on drip-feeds for a measly £2.39 or so..
http://www.vivomed.com/en/Universal...tm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=UnitedKingdom

possibly even better - a garden version with a bag:
http://www.gardening-naturally.com/...hStzUPtuR77yfbY1sWSyJaf6R9jwkF11pwRoCEFfw_wcB

Thanks everyone (y)

Last edited:
Hi Carl those are great. Colour in number one and overall shape makes it a clear winner.

Well done "Mr Splashy" ;-)

Gaz

These are really nice. I've had a few attempts at droplets myself and got a handful of ok shots, but found that 1/200 sec resulted in blur on some of the droplets in a lot of my shots. I was shooting water (dripping from the kitchen tap into a roasting tin placed atop the upside-down washing-up bowl :)) rather than milk, so I don't know if that makes much of a difference? 1/200 sec is the fastest flash sync speed on my camera unfortunately.

These are really nice. I've had a few attempts at droplets myself and got a handful of ok shots, but found that 1/200 sec resulted in blur on some of the droplets in a lot of my shots. I was shooting water (dripping from the kitchen tap into a roasting tin placed atop the upside-down washing-up bowl :)) rather than milk, so I don't know if that makes much of a difference? 1/200 sec is the fastest flash sync speed on my camera unfortunately.
Milk came out a lot better than water to be honest, mainly for two reasons:
1. I used a pyrex bowl - so you can see them in the images below, bloody embossed onto the bowl itself :confused:
2. Changing the hue to get different colours was more effective - I think anyway, plus the liquid was thicker (I used full fat)

but here are my water shots just so you can compare, same settings, 1/200th, same bowl as the milk shots, just the milk covered up the embossed pyrex on the bowl :) I didnt post these because the embossed writing on the bowl spoiled the images, so I am posting these now, just for example purposes.

I shot these, saw the embossed markings and thought bugger it and switched over to milk hence the images above.

1.. Also, pierced it twice to see if I could get anything more interesting than single droplets
_MG_0540 by Carl Harrison, on Flickr

_MG_0500 by Carl Harrison, on Flickr

_MG_0462 by Carl Harrison, on Flickr

_MG_0274 by Carl Harrison, on Flickr

_MG_0122 by Carl Harrison, on Flickr

_MG_0012-1 by Carl Harrison, on Flickr

This is a really nice set of images, I love them all! Well done

Milk came out a lot better than water to be honest, mainly for two reasons:
1. I used a pyrex bowl - so you can see them in the images below, bloody embossed onto the bowl itself :confused:
2. Changing the hue to get different colours was more effective - I think anyway, plus the liquid was thicker (I used full fat)

but here are my water shots just so you can compare, same settings, 1/200th, same bowl as the milk shots, just the milk covered up the embossed pyrex on the bowl :) I didnt post these because the embossed writing on the bowl spoiled the images, so I am posting these now, just for example purposes.

They're still nice, even with the logo visible. This was one of the best shots I managed, but as you can see, there's still some motion blur present. I wonder if it might be down to the height that the droplets fall from - mine were coming from the kitchen tap and falling maybe 10 inches.

62/366 2016 - Point of impact
by fishyfish_arcade, on Flickr

Hmmm. What I had done was to have a bounce card behind the subject and a crappy flash gun pointing at it to bounce the light back, the flash gun was quite close to the card, probably 5 or 6 inches away - whether that made a difference hence mine look more frozen as you've taken that image above at the same speed and almost same aperture so yours should look more frozen than that I would have thought - BUT, I did have the flash power down quite low which meant a quicker-flash (1/16 or 1/32 power on the gun). If you had 200th of a sec and the flash power up at 1/4 power or more, the flash duration is longer hence you would end up with some motion.

Hmmm. What I had done was to have a bounce card behind the subject and a crappy flash gun pointing at it to bounce the light back, the flash gun was quite close to the card, probably 5 or 6 inches away - whether that made a difference hence mine look more frozen as you've taken that image above at the same speed and almost same aperture so yours should look more frozen than that I would have thought - BUT, I did have the flash power down quite low which meant a quicker-flash (1/16 or 1/32 power on the gun). If you had 200th of a sec and the flash power up at 1/4 power or more, the flash duration is longer hence you would end up with some motion.

That's a good point. I'll give that a go next time. I've also got a speedlight since my last try, so that may make a difference over the harshness of the pop-up flash.

1 and 8 of the first set are my preferred shots.
I like the shape of 1 and the merging colours in 8.

Back