First go at Landscapes

Fraser Euan White

Suspended / Banned
Name
Fraser White
Edit My Images
Yes
Well, hats off to all you dedicated landscape photographers!

I really didn't think it would be as tough as it was but was keen to have a go. After concentrating on setting up a small home studio and learning (still lots & lots to learn) I thought I would have a go at taking a couple of landscape shots on my day off. I took a trip to the Yorkshire Dales for the below shots and I am posting them with aching legs!

Please don't be to harsh with the critique; it was my first attempt but feedback is welcome :)

Cheated with this one; placed the leaves on the rock to add some colour to the foreground:

_DSC3357 by Fraser White, on Flickr

Used a 10 stop ND with this:

Janet's Foss by Fraser White, on Flickr

Feet got soaked wading into the river which was deeper and more powerful than I thought - nearly lost the camera to the water!

Janet's Foss 3 by Fraser White, on Flickr

Last edited:
Cheated with this one; placed the leaves on the rock to add some colour to the foreground

That's not cheating, that's composing ;) I do it all the time, both adding and removing (only if it's dead or grass/bracken)

It looks like a great location with some great light and I like your compositions.

It feels, to my very beginner eye, that you have over sharpened these a little and you may want to consider focus stacking if you are going to have a foreground that is so close, the mid-ground and backgrounds look a little soft to me. I'd probably clone out a couple of the twigs as well.

Thanks for the kind words Scott :)

At 18 st. and a 20+ a day smoker the fitness lets me down unfortunately! When I actually get to the location I was too tired to do the things I should have done with the camera. I hope to do more as getting out with the camera in our beautiful countryside is a great way to try and improve my fitness :)

Ok, your first… now I wanna see the second! :p

Great stuff. I like the first two especially.

At 18 st. and a 20+ a day smoker the fitness lets me down unfortunately! When I actually get to the location I was too tired to do the things I should have done with the camera. I hope to do more as getting out with the camera in our beautiful countryside is a great way to try and improve my fitness :)

I actually got into photography to try and lose a bit of weight. I piled the pounds on after stopping smoking, (I smoked over 40 a day), so bought a DSLR and started trudging around the countryside where I live. It soon gets easier.

Great stuff. I like the first two especially.

I actually got into photography to try and lose a bit of weight. I piled the pounds on after stopping smoking, (I smoked over 40 a day), so bought a DSLR and started trudging around the countryside where I live. It soon gets easier.

This is hopefully the idea; my camera will get me out & about more and help me get fitter - I'm not a natural photographer (always preferred the sciences to the arts) so need to shoot more often to help scene composition and creativity :)

Thanks again to everybody who has taken the time to reply :)

Fraser

@Fraser Euan White
I smoked up until September 2016, 20+ roll ups and loved to smoke but knew it was having an ever increasing effect on my ability to get to the locations I wanted to get to. Had tried stopping numerous times previously with the likes of patches, gum and cold turkey. None worked because none can ever replace the habit of smoking. Last year I tried a vape, not a cheap vape pen from a super market or convenience store but a proper vape which has temperature, wattage and air flow control.
I can honestly say it's the closest thing you'll ever get to smoking without actually smoking. It draws just like a cigarette, tastes better than a cigarette and gives that instant nicotine relief you get from smoking a cigarette. I was someone who didn't want to stop but knew within a couple of hours of trying a good vape that I'd never smoke again.
I use a Aspire Plato vape (unfortunately not available on the market anymore because of recent tank capacity restrictions) with an eliquid which is Tabaco flavour with a little hint of vanilla and fudge. Tastes great, smells great and cost a tenth of what I was spending on cigarettes.
It is super easy to move to a good vape, it doesn't even feel like you've tried to stop, it's just a different nicotine delivery system but without the life ending drawbacks associated with smoking. Nicotine on it's own is harmless albeit seriously addictive, it's the combustion of cigarettes which causes all the harmful chemicals and smoke particles, with vaping there's none. Any bad press you read about vaping is mostly fake originating from Tabaco companies as they see their revenue fall dramatically year on year, they don't want you to stop for obvious reasons.
I buy my eliquids from VapeMate, all ingredients in their liquids are harmless, some cheaper liquids have some questionable ingredients.
3 months after stopping I asked our occupational nurse to perform a lung efficiency test to see if there were any benefits. The results were astonishing, took 9 years off my lung age! She was so impressed she took the results to the company doctor who was on site at the time and he was shocked it had such an impact.
There are vape shops opening up on every high street, they can explain the different vapes, try out different liquids until you find a machine and liquid to suit you.
Hope this helps.

Another day of exercise with the camera! Went out with a friend into the Peak District and this was the last 'shot' of the day (so pleased my tripod legs weren't as wobbly as mine at this stage!) Had a great day and loved it:

_DSC3556 by Fraser White, on Flickr

Last edited:
Stunning shot Fraser. Is this a blend in PS or did you manage with Graduated Filters?

Hi - I was actually trying out my new Nisi filters and used a three stop medium grad on the sky area.

Thanks for the kind comments.

Back