B&W First go at Long Exposures at Redcar Groynes

Chris141h

Suspended / Banned
Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All,

Taken last year (new years eve) only just managed to have a lot at these! But they are my first attempt at long exposure shots. My personal favourite of the three is number 1 but I think number two is slightly out of focus. All comments and critique on how they can be improved are appreciated!! :)

1 - long exposure 3 by chris141h, on Flickr

2 - long exposure 2 by chris141h, on Flickr

3 - long exposure 1 by chris141h, on Flickr

Hi, Chris, main issue for me is that they don't really look like long exposures because ther are no clouds and little movement in the water. If you could have got closer to the water, by either zooming in or moving closer with your camers, they might have worked better.

Just keep an eye out for some nice puffy clouds.

Cheers.

They look over exposed and as mentioned they don't exhibit the water movement you expect to see in long exposures. Consider a grad filter to balance out the sky as it is just blown in these. Have a look at some long exposure seascapes on the forum and try and get some tips from the guys that produced them.

Thanks both for the feedback. I think I'm going to take a look at some grad filters and probably get one. Problem I had with the slow speed was it letting into much light which took it out of the sky. Or would you suggest taking two shots one for the long exposure and then one for the sky and then merging or layering them in photoshop ??

I think either of the first two could work in a panoramic crop (3:1) as both shots have empty space at the extreme top and bottom edges of frame.

As others have mentioned all 3 have over exposed areas which can work given the high key black and white look but here it is quite obvious. When you've taken the shot check your histogram which will show the over exposing with the graph bunched up hard to the right. Also pay attention to your horizons as all 3 look a little off.

Last edited:
Back