First go at Rugby

Edit My Images
No
Not strictly true, because I had a go at it for one match 3 or 4 years ago, but my first go with the 1dx2 and 200-400.

These are both pretty new to me and I haven't had much opportunity to give them a good run out. Anyway, I had a free afternoon and fancied trying sport with the combo. Both my local Rugby and football teams were playing at home, so I had the chance. I nipped to both grounds mid morning to introduce myself and see if they would be happy for me to shoot. The rugby ground was open, the football one wasn't. So that was that decision made. They were more than happy to have me there. Not really knowing what i'd be doing I decided to travel as light as I could - with the heavy combo. I thought I might be moving around a lot. I didn't take a seat. nor did I take a bag. Just the big lens, camera and a monopod. Oh and gloves, it was bloody cold out.

I positioned myself over the try line at the bottom of the sloped pitch, thinking it was more likely the play would come my way. With the view to moving around as play continued. As it happened that was as far as I got. It seemed to work for me so I stayed put / pretty much. I should have taken a seat after all.

Anyway, here are a few of the shots I managed to get. I really enjoyed it and will be going back as soon as I can.

All critic welcome, every day is a school day. I have to say the hardest bit for me was deciding which focus type to use. Spot was great for the slower stuff, but once they started zig zagging I went for the cross type. Oh and zooming the 200-400 isn't easy either. Not quickly and repeatably in any case.

1.Let's get stuck in to them lads

Andover 'v' Portsmouth Rugby by Gary Kinghorn, on Flickr

2. Nearly there

3. That'll do it

4. Catch me if you can

5. Up, up.,up

6. Gotcha

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with any of these. I would have thought if you take some prints of these to the bar, you'd get some drinks bought you!

Top notch kit does not equal top notch shots; however, these are absolute crackers.
I've tried rugby as a 'togger, but my hit rate was poor as I couldn't manage the decisive moment.
Having a high burst rate may be advantageous, but a knowledge of the game also helps.
I'm liking the shots that are also away from the direct action.
You're making great use of the top end kit, no issues with these from me.

Thanks for the kind comments. I was spoilt with the weather for most of the game fortunately, so that helped.

I may well nip up there again this weekend and have another go. Will see how things go.

You are on the right track thats for sure...

A lot of photogrpahy is down to peoples style.. I prefer closer crops myswelf

#1 standard but prefer slightly higher to get more faces from the players pointing towards you.. all depends on whats around you.. If you want the shot then you find a higher viewpoint and wait for it :)

#2 sorry but I hate bits of body parts sticking in pictures.. I would have done a portrait shot to include the main action from the ginger bloke onwards (cant show you as you ahve NO edit) as the rest add nothign.. esp that foot and arm :(

#4 player 9 spoils it.. either crop in or ...in nearly 2 hrs your bound to have another simmilar shot without a big OOF player in way :)

#7 good grief ..sorry ..crop in to lose the player on the left and whatever is happening on the right.. again this action happens a lot surely a cleaner pic ?

#8 and #9 same idea but not keen on tight bum man haha.. #9 is better if it shows the web address and just wait a second for either nobody passing or lots passing.. but just one person passing hmm

All in all as I say on right track... some of my comments can be seen as picky and maybe are.. but some are important ones....you did well to have players facing with more faces than backsides in picture.. ball in picture and action.. just not isolated enough IMHO and the rest is as said down to style.. mines closer crop...

Thanks for the comments, much appreciated. Funnily enough my usual style is more portrait orientated, so I would have been cropping closer. However I obviously went the other way with these. Hoping to get back up there this weekend, but will see how things pan out and make a few changes.

Thanks for the comments, much appreciated. Funnily enough my usual style is more portrait orientated, so I would have been cropping closer. However I obviously went the other way with these. Hoping to get back up there this weekend, but will see how things pan out and make a few changes.

I hope its horrible weather and some rain........they are the best rugby pics haha.. I pray for bad weather with rugby... unfortunatly I only photo when the paper send me and its usually a lovly sunny day :( get some mud and rain and really zoom in :)

1 - overexposed. Next time shoot on manual and get the settings right for a proper exposure. If the light changes then adjust on the fly

2 - ok but nothing of particular interest

3 - decent try pic but the cropping is a little tight, if it is indeed cropped at all

4 - good but a touch overexposed. Good standard action shot though

5 - again over but goot otherwise. What f stop are you using, hopefully opening it as wide as possible. Next time try for a lineout a bit close to you to throw the background out.

6 - crop tighter. It's a shame the tackler's face is in shadow

7 - ok but crop tighter to lose the post on the right and the glaring red billboard in the background

8 - throw away

9 - definitely throw away

10 - If you want to keep this one then crop tight and lose all the distractions on either side.

Good start overall. I'd consider where you're sitting so the sunlight isn't so harsh. Consider shooting into the sun so the players are backlit. Oh and bring a seat, never stand up to shoot rugby. I'm always amazed how many amateurs stand.

To answer your question brizrob, I was generally shooting wide open.

Thanks for your comments. I have taken them on-board. That's not to say I won't repeat all the errors many times over, but you live and learn.

The weather and light is foul today, but they are playing at home again and I have been given a pass, so I'm going to go along and have another go. Waterproofs at the ready, as well as a seat. The only issue I had was that my waterproof cover is specific to my 300mm and not quite long enough for the 200-400. However I haven't let that beat me. My wife came home with a new pair of waterproof trousers for my son yesterday and was about to throw the old ones out. No, no, no. Ten mins later One leg was fitted nice and snug over the lens. The monopod was covered by the other leg and the waist area makes a handy cover for the body itself. Almost looks made for the job.

It will certainly be a big test for the higher ISO capabilities of the camera. I don't know what you guys do with shutter speeds in these circumstances, the first shoot I tried to stick with 1/1000th, but I might reduce this a bit to keep the ISO and noise down. I'll post the results in the next day or three

You are on the right track thats for sure...

A lot of photogrpahy is down to peoples style.. I prefer closer crops myswelf

#1 standard but prefer slightly higher to get more faces from the players pointing towards you.. all depends on whats around you.. If you want the shot then you find a higher viewpoint and wait for it :)

#2 sorry but I hate bits of body parts sticking in pictures.. I would have done a portrait shot to include the main action from the ginger bloke onwards (cant show you as you ahve NO edit) as the rest add nothign.. esp that foot and arm :(

#4 player 9 spoils it.. either crop in or ...in nearly 2 hrs your bound to have another simmilar shot without a big OOF player in way :)

#7 good grief ..sorry ..crop in to lose the player on the left and whatever is happening on the right.. again this action happens a lot surely a cleaner pic ?

#8 and #9 same idea but not keen on tight bum man haha.. #9 is better if it shows the web address and just wait a second for either nobody passing or lots passing.. but just one person passing hmm

All in all as I say on right track... some of my comments can be seen as picky and maybe are.. but some are important ones....you did well to have players facing with more faces than backsides in picture.. ball in picture and action.. just not isolated enough IMHO and the rest is as said down to style.. mines closer crop...
1+ agree with this. Most of the images would look great if they had a tighter crop

I think these are great for a first try, I’ve seen far worse. Dunno what it is but I love no.9

My first try I used a 50mm lens lol.

They could be a little tighter, but you've got to use what you've got.

Overall, very pleasing.

Back