Beginner First go at some bugs

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
Thought I'd have a nose around the garden and see what was what.

Nearly got some bug on bug action but they left before I got lined up :D

Managed to get a bug eating a fly? I assume one is eating the other?

IMG_2098 by Paul Pepperrell, on Flickr

Any a lone fly.

IMG_2063 by Paul Pepperrell, on Flickr

Both shot free hand in daylight. How do you get a tripod set up in time to shoot a fly?

They are pretty good
The first is a robber fly eating a greenbottle. In thus situation flash could improve the lighting.
The light in the second is very nice.

I always shoot handheld but use flash.

Well done Paul. The flash worked well for the last two. It is a harvestman I believe. The little red animals might be mites. (I'm not very good at identifying/naming things.)

Like Alf I generally work hand-held with flash, apart from large, bright day subjects like butterflies, dragonflies and damselflies, where I work hand-held with natural light. I used to use a tripod a lot but now I would only use it for early morning sessions (around dawn) when the air can be completely still, for long exposure natural light shots (although it is a couple of years since I have done one of those sessions), or sometimes for very small subjects, where I find it can help with subject acquisition and focusing. But even for very small subjects I tend to work hand-held at the moment.

Yeah that is a Harvestman not a spider as it has no venom is a single segment body and does spin silk. Those are mites attached to it. The Harvestman has all 8 legs which is often not the case.
Nice shots.

Last edited:
Back