First go with ring flash

1st shot is the best imo with the sharpness/focus, the others are suffering with something but I am not sure what, maybe its noise but I am not sure.
I looked at the flickr files and I see the exif and the ISO is at 400, I would say that is a bit too high for a Canon camera and this has introduced noise which is very noticeable in the last shot.

Thanks for the comment. I do not think 400 ISO is to high for a 7DMk2. It is probably down to my processing. Certainly the last one is quite a large crop.
I think I might have over sharpened them some what.
Ah ok that makes sense.

The flash looks to be working well, and you got the focus spot on with these, giving some nice detail.

I'm happy with ISO 800 on my 70D so I would have thought ISO 400 should be absolutely no problem with the 7D.

I need to get more time using the flash but happy with what it gives. £78 from Amazon so not a huge outlay. Hopefully get time in the next couple of weeks. Working really gets in the way

A very good first go with the ring flash.
First shot is the best of the set, and as spotted by yourself, your pp has degraded the results a bit on the others.
The sigma 105mm is a cracking lens, I use one too. Might be worth looking into getting a set of ext tubes, quite cheap and will help with magnification.
A diffuser for the ring flash wouldn't be a bad idea, as when up close the flash can be a tad harsh and result in blown highlights.
A look at https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/show-us-your-macro-rig.132158/ for ideas, usually diy jobs and fun to try out and cheap as chips.
Keep up the good work, :):):)

Back