Critique First High Key attempt

Name
Jim
Edit My Images
Yes
I posted some queries in the lighting section. As part of my new exploration into portrait photography I picked up a used hilite for the white background and I think I'm lacking space at home to seperate the background to avoid blow or wrap- still trying to determine the difference.

Would welcome CC on this as my first high key image.

Sophie by Jim Tod, on Flickr

Sweet and smiley visage, Jim and
very convincing rendition! (y)(y)(y)

Another nice shot Jim. I'm personally not keen on the overall look myself and the top of the righthand side looks a little too bright for me, it's close to being blown.

Are you blowing the bg in camera? Many people advocate 2 stops brighter on the bg but that causes too much spill coming back on the subject unless you have a good amount of space to work in. Around 1.5 times works out best IMO then clean up in PP. Dead easy in LR, with an adjustment brush, just tick the automask feature and it helps preserve your subject. If you want a complete blown bg, then select the highlight tab in the histogram to see the blown area.

Last edited:
Im not convinced by the angle but apart from that I like it. I photograph weddings, around 60 a year. I often start the day at the brides house or mum and dads. I often see photo's at the house that have been taken at a studio. This is better than 80% of them

Back