Beginner First Hockey 'Game'

Name
Dan
Edit My Images
No
Sorry for the abundance of photos, and if you're really gutton for punishment the outdoor set I delivered are here.
https://gallery.danielcook.com/armyhockeytournament/outdoortournament/

I still have an indoor set to sort through.

It was my first time shooting sports, and I had a lot rattling round my brain - and even when it came to the selection process I'm not familiar with what to deliver - so I just went with the gut.

So if these photos are enough to give some indication of what I'm doing right or wrong, or suggestions on how I should improve - please I'd love to hear it.

Light changes throughout photos as shot from morning to late afternoon.

1 Hockey by dancook1982, on Flickr

2 Hockey by dancook1982, on Flickr

3 Hockey by dancook1982, on Flickr

4 Hockey by dancook1982, on Flickr

5 Hockey by dancook1982, on Flickr

6 Hockey by dancook1982, on Flickr

7 Hockey by dancook1982, on Flickr

8 Hockey by dancook1982, on Flickr

Last edited:
Great action shots. Brings back memories of hockey in my school days and especially the excitement when it was announced that we would start playing 'mixed' hockey. We thought we would walk all over the girls. We were wrong!!!:sorry:

Great action shots. Brings back memories of hockey in my school days and especially the excitement when it was announced that we would start playing 'mixed' hockey. We thought we would walk all over the girls. We were wrong!!!:sorry:

At high school, games lessons 7 or so boys vs 13 or so girls we took a few of theirs to even sides. Most girls were in opposing team were in the hockey team, none of the boys were.. And we did walk all over them :)

First attempt? You have a good eye..

GOOD BITS
Ball in pic
Players face on
No body parts sticking in
Decent action
Good composition..

PICKY BITS
Pic 2 needs more headroom.. always have space to stand up in ... This is quite picky of me though :)
Pic 11 is the only one I wouldnt have in the set .Her backside takes over the picture IMHO

A little over exposed in places... I do realise its harsh sunshine... If I am shooting in the dark I over expose 1/3 to help..it's the same concept in bright sunshine I tend to under espose by 1/3 ... sometimes it works :)

On the whole a good set IMHO :)

First attempt? You have a good eye..

GOOD BITS
Ball in pic
Players face on
No body parts sticking in
Decent action
Good composition..

PICKY BITS
Pic 2 needs more headroom.. always have space to stand up in ... This is quite picky of me though :)
Pic 11 is the only one I wouldnt have in the set .Her backside takes over the picture IMHO

A little over exposed in places... I do realise its harsh sunshine... If I am shooting in the dark I over expose 1/3 to help..it's the same concept in bright sunshine I tend to under espose by 1/3 ... sometimes it works :)

On the whole a good set IMHO :)

Thanks Kipax! Yes first time doing sport, will be doing some hockey and rugby for the school in December - so look forward to doing some more.

I'll keep an eye on that exposure :)

Back