Studio First Home Studio Photo

Edit My Images
Yes
My first Photo taken today in my little home studio I set up in my dining room lol

What do u all think?? Good, Bad, so so .....

Its been edited already btw

OP2A7313-1r by Nati81, on Flickr

That's one beautiful subject, maybe try with the subject facing the camera(depending on how playful it is), I don't know much about studio setup, but the result looks great

Thanks!!

I don't know much about studio setups yet myself but I enjoy playing about and see what results I get.

I tried my hardest to get the dog look at me but she was soo lazy I just barely could make her sit for the 5 mins lol

And my assistant was my 2 year old little man so I'm glad I got at least a couple of shots lol not sure how good they are though.

Very nice, I like that a lot, she's a beautiful dog too. Looks like a large softbox that you've used? A reflector the other side would help, just to add a bit of light on the left. Focus looks spot on, good composition, good PP. If you want a completely black background you'd need a couple more feet between the dog and the background, or you can sort this in PP easily enough. Very nicely done.

Could you shake a bag of treats to get her to look at you for a split second?

Yes, I used a large softbox. I got another couple of lights but just played about with the one at the moment.

Does the background not appear totally black? I had to darken it in pp a bit more but it looks all black on my screen now?

I had treats lol lots of them. The dog looked bored to the point of laying down wanting to sleep and howling with annoyance when told to sit up again lol

I think I can see what u mean about the background. How do I pp it to be totally black?

I think I can see what u mean about the background. How do I pp it to be totally black?
I'm not 100% with this but it's something to do with leaving lots of space behind the subject. Light falls off very quickly so if the subject is close to your softbox and a good eight+ feet away it will light your dog but not light the background at all, so leave it black.

I can't see the camera settings but usually it's something like f/11, ISO 100 and 1/60 or 1/125 sec. This usually creates a totally black picture when taken indoors. You then add light (flashlight/whatever) then adjust the lighting to suit the subject.

Pardon the amateurish response but that's the sort of theory to give you a decently lit subject and black background - as long has you have the space behind.

What breed is she....I have a Northern Inuit that looks very close...

Could do it a couple of ways, if not more. Make a copy layer, and mask the dog, so the dog in the lower layer shows through, then a levels adjustment on the top layer to move the black point (left hand slider on the histogram). Or just use the burn tool, set to shadows and adjust the opacity - can probably be quite high until you are doing the edge of the dog, where you'd need to lower it so it doesn't affect her fur, brush over the background and it will make it black.

Last edited:
Try putting the Tint (Green/Magneta) slider to zero (or further towards the green end) - it looks like you've got a bit of unwanted magenta being added. Lovely shot nonetheless, and I wouldn't have noticed without the original shot to compare it with.

Edit with the tint changed and some slightly blown highlights recovered.

NOT MY IMAGE_TP Husky edit by Ian Bradshaw, on Flickr

Oh thanks... I will play about with the tint slider tomorrow and see if I can fix it that way :)

Awesome, great lighting and super sharp. I could never get my dog in such sharp detail. Clearly the treat being offered is special!

Back