First "Jumper" for 2015, and newborn Aphids, using stacked 250/150 Raynox lenses

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
No
My 1st "Jumper" of 2015. This is a single image, as are the other 2 shots...F8 1/125 ISO 100. Hand held.

This tiny Spider was found in the house, on the inside window ledge. So I grabbed a plant stem, and coaxed him onto it. After some time, he finally settled down for a few shots.
Panasonic FZ28 with both the 150 and 250(stacked) Raynox macro lenses used. Along with a DIY Pringles diffuser.

All comments welcome, cheers Paul.

Jumping Spider. 21st-February-2015. by Testudo Man, on Flickr

Another shot of that Spider. The plant stem was not much wider than a large blade of grass!

Jumping Spider. 21st-February-2015. by Testudo Man, on Flickr

These tiny Aphids started to show up on an indoor plant, several weeks ago. So as much as i tried, i just couldnt see/capture a shot of one being born!
Here you can see all the newborn Aphids next to their Mother.
Panasonic FZ28 with both the 150 and 250(stacked) Raynox macro lenses used. No flash for this shot. Strong sunlight through a window.

Newborn Aphids with Mother. 8th-February-2015. by Testudo Man, on Flickr

Really like the aphid shot. And natural light too. That is very unusual for that type of magnification I think. Nicely done.

Thanks Nick, the Aphid image was my 1st real test shots, using the stacked combo of 150/250 Raynox macro lenses.
I was using up to 18x optical zoom(thats the max zoom for the poor ole FZ28!). I took the pot plant upstairs, and placed it next to the landing window, the light was variable though. Flash was used(when cloudy) then no flash when strong sunlight. Hand held, Auto Focus, Jpeg 10 mega pixel camera!
I used either F8, or F5 (depending on sub setting in macro mode) always ISO 100 though. It was not easy, i took at least a 100+ images.
I really should have used a tripod, its not like the Aphids were going anywhere fast!! ;)

Thanks Nick, the Aphid image was my 1st real test shots, using the stacked combo of 150/250 Raynox macro lenses.
I was using up to 18x optical zoom(thats the max zoom for the poor ole FZ28!). I took the pot plant upstairs, and placed it next to the landing window, the light was variable though. Flash was used(when cloudy) then no flash when strong sunlight. Hand held, Auto Focus, Jpeg 10 mega pixel camera!
I used either F8, or F5 (depending on sub setting in macro mode) always ISO 100 though. It was not easy, i took at least a 100+ images.
I really should have used a tripod, its not like the Aphids were going anywhere fast!! ;)

Hand held!!!!!

Auto focus. Yes, if the FZ28 focuses like the FZ200 then that makes perfect sense. I use autofocus almost all the time for insects etc with my FZ200 and G3. F8, presumably minimum aperture on the FZ28. Again, that's what I use pretty much all the time on the FZ200. Equivalent to about f/22-f/32 on micro four thirds or APS-C. A lot of people think that's too small to be useful. You've shown otherwise with that shot IMO.

Fantastic... hope its sunny here next week if the old jumpers are out and about.

Great work really great. Those pringles tubes have served you well how many diffusion layers did you put in it?

Hand held!!!!!

Auto focus. Yes, if the FZ28 focuses like the FZ200 then that makes perfect sense. I use autofocus almost all the time for insects etc with my FZ200 and G3. F8, presumably minimum aperture on the FZ28. Again, that's what I use pretty much all the time on the FZ200. Equivalent to about f/22-f/32 on micro four thirds or APS-C. A lot of people think that's too small to be useful. You've shown otherwise with that shot IMO.

Thanks once again Nick, its always appreciated.
99.9% of my photography is hand held. I think the last time i put a camera on a tripod, was at least a couple of years ago? Even the tiny Jumping Spider was shot one handed, because i had to hold the plant stem in the other hand! Ive always had a strong grip, and the the FZ28 is light as a feather. Last year, i one handed a Red Admiral butterfly shot, using my Nikon D7100 and a 70-300mm VR lens(zoom was at 200-300mm) to make the shot!

Panasonic FZ bridge cameras, auto focus very very well, i have all the sound/beeps turned to "off" in camera, which speeds up the focus for the next shot too. Im still looking at getting/finding the older FZ50, because that camera can do f/11, which would be good to try out ;)

Last edited:
Fantastic... hope its sunny here next week if the old jumpers are out and about.

Great work really great. Those pringles tubes have served you well how many diffusion layers did you put in it?

Cheers Bryn, Weve had some strong sunlight down here in Kent(as well as vicious wind!) lately. I should be looking for our hibernating UK Reptiles to emerge any day now(i know Adders have been sighted elsewhere in the UK) in the last couple of weeks, but i just havent had a chance to get out there yet...all we need is a couple of warm days, and i shall try the new Pringles diffusers on some lovely snakes ;)

I put 2 layers on the end, i dont think one layer was enough? I do have to experiment with the on board flash power adjustments though. It has so many variables, such as - What Raynox combo Im using/What distance the subject is/What zoom range Im using.

Last edited:
Im still looking at getting/finding the older FZ50, because that camera can do f/11, which would be good to try out ;)

Ah, the FZ50. I so much wanted one, but the bottom mounting of the LCD made it impractical for me as I use the tripod so much. It's the only small sensor camera I know of that goes to f/11, which made it very desirable to me. As I expect you know, Mark Berkery still uses the FZ50 with Raynoxes, to great effect, and he uses f/11 most of the time I think.

Three very nice shots Paul, the Aphid is especially good.(y)

"Where abouts in Kent are you located"?

George.

Gotta love a jumper!

Paul.

Cheers Paul, yes, thay are fantastic creatures to observe/photograph. Ive been looking in our back garden/on the fence, because thats a great area for them, but i guess its still too cold for em just yet?! Some flies have started to bask on my fence, so its just a matter of time before all the other "Bugs" become active.

Ah, the FZ50. I so much wanted one, but the bottom mounting of the LCD made it impractical for me as I use the tripod so much. It's the only small sensor camera I know of that goes to f/11, which made it very desirable to me. As I expect you know, Mark Berkery still uses the FZ50 with Raynoxes, to great effect, and he uses f/11 most of the time I think.

I will get an FZ50(eventually) I nearly bought one on the weekend, i was going to travel up to South London on Sunday (less than 40 miles for me) but it had sold. Im really fussy, so i would rather wait for a mint one to come along. Its an old camera, so there are some rough ones out there for sure.
I dont like the idea of the tiny 2 inch screen, my 51 year old eyesight is not the best these days, so using the screen could be a problem. But the FZ50 has f/11, and a non extending zoom lens, and a nice little sensor too.

You cant argue with the type of images that Mark Berkery produces though, his images speak volumes, using the FZ50 + Raynoxes.

Last edited:
Cheers for that George.

Im approx 6 miles outside of Maidstone...and you, where are you based in Kent?

I'm in the USA (Spring Creek TN) at the moment Paul, but when I'm in the UK I live in Cheriton (Folkestone).

George.

Excellent, You guys (in the USA) have got it quite cold there too then ;) Im approx 45 miles West of Folkestone.

It's not too bad now Paul, about 20/22dgs (F) at the moment, but when we started planting at the end of last week it was quite a bit colder and not very pleasant when we started working at about 04.30.:(

Not many bugs to photograph when it's chilly like this.:)

George.

Nice set, that particular jumping spider is normally found indoors and around old architectural buildings

I really want to get a jumping spider, problem is, my shed is one of those plastic one's and our windows are all PVC so I guess I'll have to take a trip to the in-laws wooden shed at some point. Love that #1 shot

Back