First Macro Attempts

What would I need to get me a bit further away from the subject? Would I be looking at a telephoto + extension tubes or maybe a Raynox adaptor for my current lens (85mm at longest end)? I'm thinking about 4 inches is way too close for insects etc.
With good stalking technique it is possible getting as close as 4 inches but it can take time to get thst close.

I wonder if anyone can answer me this; would say a 50mm or 85mm prime focus at the same distance from the subject as my zoom would at the same focal length? Or does that change with lens construction? Sorry if that's a daft question. I'm thinking of getting a nifty fifty to lighten the load a bit.

Last edited:
I wonder if anyone can answer me this; would say a 50mm or 85mm prime focus at the same distance from the subject as my zoom would at the same focal length? Or does that change with lens construction? Sorry if that's a daft question. I'm thinking of getting a nifty fifty to lighten the load a bit.

It depends on the particular lens concerned. Rather than looking at the closest distance at which you can gain focus, I think it is easier (because you can look it up easier, and it is probably more relevant for what you are thinking about anyway) to think in terms of magnifications.

The Canon 18-55 EF-S has a maximum magnification of 0.21X.
The Canon EF 50mm 1.8 STM also has a maximum magnification of 0.21X
The Canon EF 50mm 1.2L has a maximum magnification of 0.15X
The Canon EF 85mm 1.8 has a maximum magnification of 0.13X
The Canon EF 85mm 1.2L II has a maximum magnification of 0.11X

(You can look this stuff up in the Lenses section at dpreview, for example.)

So, in terms of magnification with the bare lens, looking at these particular lenses, the 18-55 is as good as it gets for magnification. Image quality, of course, is another matter.

I imagine the relationships between the maximum magnifications of these lenses are the same when you add extension tubes. (That's a guess.)

Last edited:
You will be surprised how close you can get to insects before they spook, most of the macro I did was a 35mm lens or 18-55, a raynox dcr 250 clipped to end of lens, and a pringles tube, what ever way you go its a tricky way to photograph but rewarding, keep it simple don't overthink it:)

the main thing is get out and practice,;)

What a brilliant thread, and some top advice shared.

I'll contribute by throwing a small spanner in the works and just note that you may find that "7 layers of kitchen roll and packing wrap" may be detrimental to your battery life. The flash may have to work harder to light the scene effectively through all those layers, and is just another one of the many compromises you'll encounter. The trick is to try and spread the light as efficiently as possible, creating a large surface area (as Nick has already highlighted). If you can get the efficiency sorted, you can spend much longer out in the field before you have to pack up and head home.

It's not a vital piece of the puzzle at the moment, just something to have in mind as you are experimenting with different diffusion layers. If you are adding more layers, do you get a similar effect if you remove some of the earlier ones?

Loving the 'Blue Peter' diffusers and you are making excellent/rapid progress. @wallyboy is right to say get out and practice. Get the field craft right and you'll be surprised at how close you can get to some of the bugs. It's time better spent that experimenting indoors. You'll be building up your experience along with seeing some real world results. As long as you have a reasonable level of diffusion, you can perfect it later on.

Thanks Tim, I've realized with the second diffuser that I'd made a very small tunnel for the light to travel down and it was very bright, I seem to have got too much flash rather than having to turn it up! All the layers were completely unnecessary. I've made another tube that's bigger and needs less in the way of layers to diffuse it. I'm struggling a bit though now with highly reflective surfaces such as chrome and shiny plastics. Although that shouldn't really matter with what I want to photograph.

I will add that extension tubes have a big advantage over diaopters if you are going down the non macro lens route, in that they will fit all your lenses. Just if you do go down the tube route, ensure you get the ones with electronic connections to control the lens aperture.

Agree with Tim and Walter about getting out and diffusion.

Back