first macro lens for sony a77 mk2

Name
gary
Edit My Images
No
ok as title I have been looking at this section for a while and reckon its time I gave this macro photography a try, so can you guys recommend a lens for the a77 mk2 baring in mind that there are still loads of Minolta lenses out there that work on this camera, also what do think should the lens be manual focus or auto thanks in advance :thinking:

ok as title I have been looking at this section for a while and reckon its time I gave this macro photography a try, so can you guys recommend a lens for the a77 mk2 baring in mind that there are still loads of Minolta lenses out there that work on this camera, also what do think should the lens be manual focus or auto thanks in advance :thinking:
Hi Gary, it's a very difficult question to answer tbh. You've got loads of options at various budgets. It all comes down to what subjects you are hoping to shoot and at what magnification.

Best advice I can give at the moment is to try adapting your existing lenses for macro work, either with extension tubes or a reversing ring and see where it takes you. As you begin to familiarise yourself with macro you'll begin to understand what you need to do to get the shots you want and can make any kit purchasing decisions as required.

Edit: or go with what @mattd85 says, those are two nice lenses :)

Last edited:
thanks for reply I guess subjects would be butterflies, flowers and larger bugs leaf cutter ants are one I have already shot with my kit 16-50 mm 2.8

thanks for reply I guess subjects would be butterflies, flowers and larger bugs leaf cutter ants are one I have already shot with my kit 16-50 mm 2.8
Ok for those type of subjects you probably want a longer focal length. There are 150 and 180mm macro lenses that are great but a bit pricey, and a 105mm lens or thereabouts should serve you well. The Venus lens is a 60mm lens, so you'll need to get closer to your subjects to fill the frame, and butterflies can be a bit skittish, but you can likely still get good shots with it with perseverance. Sorry I'm not familiar with any Sony/Minolta lenses to recommend.

the sigma 105 is a great macro lens for the A77, cheap as chips, and decent IQ

I find the AF a little slow but for most macro you'll be using MF anyway I'd expect

On your setup I'd go for sigma 105mm as well can always put a teleconverter on it.

@Lez325 can show you how it performs ;)

thanks it seems a lot of people like the 105 sigma , is the hsm version the way to go or is the ex ok?

The sigma 105 or the classic Minolta 100 macro are both excellent. I have both. If you get a sigma make sure it is a newer one which is labelled SLT compatible or you may have issues.

Back