First macro safari of 2019

Name
Alf
Edit My Images
Yes
Here are some shots from my latest macro safari this was in the rotting wood I keep in a bin in the garden. Its a great place to find these things.

A tiny springtail Neanura muscorum about 1mm long shot with the E-M1 sigma 105 25mm extension tube and two Raynox MCR 250's stacked on the front using the STF-8 flash. The working distance of this is tiny and this guy was not hanging around.

Little springtail Neanura muscorum by Alf Branch, on Flickr

The rest of these were taken with one Raynox attched

A larvae not sure what of

Larvae by Alf Branch, on Flickr

a little millipede

Little millipede 1 by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Another little millipede

Little millipede 2 by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Another millipede possibly a snake spotted millipede

Millipede by Alf Branch, on Flickr

A something a bit bigger a wood louse

Wood louse by Alf Branch, on Flickr

What do you think?

Last edited:
Love that 1st one Alf, looks totally weird if you know what I mean.
The rest of the shots are totally as good though.
Thanks for your Safari shots.
It`s warming up here too :)

Love that 1st one Alf, looks totally weird if you know what I mean.
The rest of the shots are totally as good though.
Thanks for your Safari shots.
It`s warming up here too :)

Thanks Graham

Nice, I have never seen Neanura muscorum, how do you find the Sigma 105?

"Excellent" set of macro shots, with some fine detail & colour, and nicely lit.(y)

George.

Nice, I have never seen Neanura muscorum, how do you find the Sigma 105?

I have not seen them often but this in the garden maybe I need to dig deeper.
The Sigma is an old 4/3 fit DG model but I really like for its MF and working distance. I have a Zuiko 60mm f2.8 but the 105 gets more time on camera.

"Excellent" set of macro shots, with some fine detail & colour, and nicely lit.(y)

George.

Thanks George

Great series - and even better with the first you have found what it is. I just called them blue cloud springtails when I found them in the past!

Thanks Chris
The first is a Neanura muscorum I am told

I think that first shot is very, very good. Very small. Interesting setup. Makes me wonder about some alternatives I might try.
The working distance is very small

The working distance is very small

Yes, I just tried with a G80, 20mm extension tube, Sigma 105 macro and a pair of 250s. At closest focus I got a scene width of around 5mm at a working distance of around 25mm. The setup weighed 1555 grams. I was using a non-AF adapter so there was no autofocus (and based on my experience with the 105 macro by itself I doubt that autofocus would be usable in any case).

I then tried a G5 with Raynox MSN-202 on a 45-175. This went down to a scene width of around 4.5mm at a working distance of around 25mm like the first setup. The weight was 685 grams. The setup has autofocus. You have to get the distance just right for autofocus to engage so I suppose you might as well use manual focus, except that I have experienced "delayed autofocus" with this sort of setup, where I press shutter button and a capture is done a little (or occasionally not such a little) later as soon as the camera gains focus. This has surprised me a few times, for example with a spider on a web that was blowing around in a breeze.

I then put a pair of Raynox 250s on the FZ330. This went down to a scene width of around 4mm at a working distance of around 45mm. The weight was 820 grams. Autofocus was similar to how it was with the MSN-202.

Here are the relative sizes of the setups (to which flash needs to be added of course. The same KX800 setup works for all of them). Left to right Sigma 105 etc on G80, MSN-202 on G5, 2 x 250 on FZ330.

Three 4-5mm scene width setups LR 800h
by gardenersassistant, on Flickr

Yes, I just tried with a G80, 20mm extension tube, Sigma 105 macro and a pair of 250s. At closest focus I got a scene width of around 5mm at a working distance of around 25mm. The setup weighed 1555 grams. I was using a non-AF adapter so there was no autofocus (and based on my experience with the 105 macro by itself I doubt that autofocus would be usable in any case).

I then tried a G5 with Raynox MSN-202 on a 45-175. This went down to a scene width of around 4.5mm at a working distance of around 25mm like the first setup. The weight was 685 grams. The setup has autofocus. You have to get the distance just right for autofocus to engage so I suppose you might as well use manual focus, except that I have experienced "delayed autofocus" with this sort of setup, where I press shutter button and a capture is done a little (or occasionally not such a little) later as soon as the camera gains focus. This has surprised me a few times, for example with a spider on a web that was blowing around in a breeze.

I then put a pair of Raynox 250s on the FZ330. This went down to a scene width of around 4mm at a working distance of around 45mm. The weight was 820 grams. Autofocus was similar to how it was with the MSN-202.

Here are the relative sizes of the setups (to which flash needs to be added of course. The same KX800 setup works for all of them). Left to right Sigma 105 etc on G80, MSN-202 on G5, 2 x 250 on FZ330.

Three 4-5mm scene width setups LR 800h
by gardenersassistant, on Flickr
Nick thanks for that I was considering getting a MSN 202 but can see little point now.

Back