First non-league game.

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All.

Local game, background info, dull/overcast day, mostly that horrid spitty/ get soaking rain, little restricted on where i could go by the home team. im maybe 30/40% happy with them but all advice welcome and taken on board.

Nikon d5100 - sigma 70-200, 2.8

DSC_0011.jpg by Wayne Scott, on Flickr
  • ƒ/3.2 -78.0 mm - 1/640 - iso 200
  • ƒ/2.8 -122.0 mm -1/800 - iso 500
  • ƒ/2.8 - 85.0 mm - 1/800 - iso 360
  • ƒ/4.0 - 78.0 mm - 1/500 - iso 640

I am not an expert, or dont even shoot sport much, but would love to see tighter crops, as looks like you still had a way to go on your lens. I like the colors, exposure, sharpness etc, but would love to see crops like the second last photo.
Awesome work anyway.

I am not an expert, or dont even shoot sport much, but would love to see tighter crops, as looks like you still had a way to go on your lens. I like the colors, exposure, sharpness etc, but would love to see crops like the second last photo.
Awesome work anyway.
Yeah, the more I look the more I notice, but same as you, think I could crop it in a fair bit more, was trying to add a sense of match play, but think I got more point and shoot , sports like this I find difficult as it’s not so open to personal choice how it looks, well kind of is but, it’s hard to know what works best.

Dont worry, this is how we all learn. I did my first sports recently on euro championships. The phitos were very average, but i learned a lot. I can see plenty of positives amongst yours.

Yeh I agree with pietrach. Tighter crops are needed. I would also wait for the action to come to you a little more so that lovely f2.8 lens can blur the distracting elements in the background more mate.

Timing of the photos is good Scott ;)

Yeh I agree with pietrach. Tighter crops are needed. I would also wait for the action to come to you a little more so that lovely f2.8 lens can blur the distracting elements in the background more mate.

Timing of the photos is good Scott ;)

Thank you, appreciate the help, Tighter crops - will do, as for blur, i always seem to struggle with this lens to get any, no idea why ?? one from another team photo i took, using sigma 105 at 2.8 is nice blur, i seem to be able to manage with this lens, but the 70-200 always gives me issues

Last edited:
Second and Fourth shots are best.

A couple of years ago, I started to take photos of the local non league team I support. I was made up that they started to use the photos in the matchday programme. I realised that I was getting just as much enjoyment photographing the game as well as supporting the team. At first it was extremely frustrating, trying to shoot everything that moved for the full 90 mins, but I’ve learned, you don’t need to shoot everything. Also, its good to try different positions around the pitch to get a variety of shots ( Next to the dug outs is good to get emotive shots of players/ coaches celebrations & losing the plot), but I agree the tight crops of players making crunching tackles or challenging for headers look the most effective.

Above all I’ve realised that loads of practice makes you better and taking advice and looking at other peoples work is invaluable.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/remyca/

Second and Fourth shots are best.

A couple of years ago, I started to take photos of the local non league team I support. I was made up that they started to use the photos in the matchday programme. I realised that I was getting just as much enjoyment photographing the game as well as supporting the team. At first it was extremely frustrating, trying to shoot everything that moved for the full 90 mins, but I’ve learned, you don’t need to shoot everything. Also, its good to try different positions around the pitch to get a variety of shots ( Next to the dug outs is good to get emotive shots of players/ coaches celebrations & losing the plot), but I agree the tight crops of players making crunching tackles or challenging for headers look the most effective.

Above all I’ve realised that loads of practice makes you better and taking advice and looking at other peoples work is invaluable.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/remyca/
Thank you, I’m somewhat lucky being asked to do this, took maybe 200 at this game, mostly bursts of 3-4, not sure if that’s a lot or not, this was an away match, so the club only let me in standard supporters areas, made the choice quite small, hopefully when we’re home I’ll have a free roam.

Crops I’ve taken on board , like the dugout idea, appreciate it

I have been photographing my local team for nine years and here is my ten pennies worth.
As the above comments say. Crop tighter and don't leave stray limbs or body parts around the side of the image as it detracts from the action. I personally don't wander around the pitch as you end up chasing the game and you'll missing a lot. If you are covering home games then buy a small stool to sit on as you get a more impact with your pictures from a lower angle.I sit behind the goal around by the 16 yard line and wait for the action to happen in front of me. Try not to photograph the backs of players as sports is as much about facial expressions as anything. I think unless the weather is very dark you are not shooting fast enough and I see your shots are at 500, 640 and 800sec. I would bump up your ISO and shoot anything above 1000sec to freeze the action. I use back button focusing with the AI servo on and shoot with the hi speed mode and for short bursts when players are about to challenge for the ball, that way you'll get a couple of good shots. I think you have done well for your first go and like anything practice and reading the game is key. Oh and enjoy :)

I have been photographing my local team for nine years and here is my ten pennies worth.
As the above comments say. Crop tighter and don't leave stray limbs or body parts around the side of the image as it detracts from the action. I personally don't wander around the pitch as you end up chasing the game and you'll missing a lot. If you are covering home games then buy a small stool to sit on as you get a more impact with your pictures from a lower angle.I sit behind the goal around by the 16 yard line and wait for the action to happen in front of me. Try not to photograph the backs of players as sports is as much about facial expressions as anything. I think unless the weather is very dark you are not shooting fast enough and I see your shots are at 500, 640 and 800sec. I would bump up your ISO and shoot anything above 1000sec to freeze the action. I use back button focusing with the AI servo on and shoot with the hi speed mode and for short bursts when players are about to challenge for the ball, that way you'll get a couple of good shots. I think you have done well for your first go and like anything practice and reading the game is key. Oh and enjoy :)

Hi, thank you, all taken on board, the arms/limbs bit I noticed, that was attention to detail on my part and I should/do know better.

The day did look a little like your avatar I was worried about iso performance as I’ve never taken the D5100 about 200 odd, I assumed it would be fine to about 1600 but didn’t want take the chance, next time I’ll know better.

It was also the first time I’ve ever tried shooting in rainy, grey, overcast conditions.

I really appreciate the advice.

Back