Beginner First OCF Attempt

Name
Sohail
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello Folks,

Here are a couple of shots taken of my son. It's my first attempt at OCF and would appreciate any comments, tips.

Sorry this is the only way I can upload photos atm. I still have to master Light Room or Photo Shop, so these are pretty much as they were taken.

pic2_zpsqdewdfnd.jpg

pic%201_zpspewh3ywe.jpg

Last edited:
Nothing to comment on Saul :)

Any help how to attach photo's?

Good effort Saul! 2nd one is favourite. I've had mixed results with OCF so these, straight OOC, are a fine start. :)

You did it Saul! Well done mate. You'll soon become addicted. It's a downward slippery slope from here I'm affraid. :D

Re attatching pics, make a Flickr account and upload them there then copy the BBCode into your thread and the images will show.

I did indeed! Thank you very much for all your help and advise. As my first attempt I am quite chuffed and proud of myself. I'm sure there's lots wrong with them.

For some reason the Nissin Flash just wouldn't work on these triggers, so I used an old Yongnuo 468 flash (upgrades are needed).

Re the flickr account, I have one but for some reason the photo's would not show on the thread. Do they have to be of a certain size?

Don't worry about flash upgrades just yet. These are great, but as you start to experiment more you'll end up with proper studio lights (much more versatile).

Flash guns are a great backup, extra light, light where you need portability.

Anyway like I said, this is great classic portrait lighting and you avoided the common pitfall of having the light too low. What modifier did you use?

Was you using the BBCode? The picture should definately show if you were. I usually use the medium 800 size for my pics that i show here.

Phil, how are studio lights more versatile? Having only ever used flash for all my stuff am i missing out on a trick? Ta.

Don't worry about flash upgrades just yet. These are great, but as you start to experiment more you'll end up with proper studio lights (much more versatile).

Flash guns are a great backup, extra light, light where you need portability.

Anyway like I said, this is great classic portrait lighting and you avoided the common pitfall of having the light too low. What modifier did you use?

Thank you very much Phil, much appreciated. I used my shoot through umbrella, will try again tomorrow using the softbox .

Light is kinda dumb... it doesn't know if it's coming from a flashgun or if it's coming from a studio head. It's how you shape it coming out that matters...

Was you using the BBCode? The picture should definately show if you were. I usually use the medium 800 size for my pics that i show here.

Phil, how are studio lights more versatile? Having only ever used flash for all my stuff am i missing out on a trick? Ta.

The 'versatility' is mostly about fitting modifiers and about how the modifiers behave. Flash guns are capable of most things, but they don't:
Have modelling lights
Fill a softbox as well as a bare tube
Fill a beauty dish at all
Have fast recycle times

£ for £ they're worse value for money. But on the plus side they're:
Small
Light
Easy to lug about.
Relatively inexpensive

Mostly I love flashguns for on camera use for ETTL, but in an indoor static situation studio flash is loads easier.

The 'versatility' is mostly about fitting modifiers and about how the modifiers behave. Flash guns are capable of most things, but they don't:
Have modelling lights
Fill a softbox as well as a bare tube
Fill a beauty dish at all
Have fast recycle times

Someone should send Joe McNally an email so he knows too!

Thanks for the info, much appreciated. (y)

Someone should send Joe McNally an email so he knows too!

Thanks for the info, much appreciated. (y)
If you're trying to suggest I have said speed lights are incapable then I'd have to question your motives David, it's a ridiculous twisting of what I said, or indeed the way I work.

You could have a look where I suggested the speedlighters handbook above, or the other occasions I've also suggested The Hotshoe Diaries, or at the thread I recommended the Godox bracket and softbox (bought by plenty on my recommendation)?

Personally I use speedlights for 90% of my lighting needs, of the other 10% most of its the Safari, because static studio stuff isn't really my 'thing', but I still bought studio heads for the small number of occasions I'm in a static indoor situation, for the above reasons.

Nice for a first go. :)

If you're trying to suggest I have said speed lights are incapable then I'd have to question your motives David, it's a ridiculous twisting of what I said, or indeed the way I work.

You could have a look where I suggested the speedlighters handbook above, or the other occasions I've also suggested The Hotshoe Diaries, or at the thread I recommended the Godox bracket and softbox (bought by plenty on my recommendation)?

Personally I use speedlights for 90% of my lighting needs, of the other 10% most of its the Safari, because static studio stuff isn't really my 'thing', but I still bought studio heads for the small number of occasions I'm in a static indoor situation, for the above reasons.

I never said such a thing. Don't be so touchy. Chill your beans.

Show off.
Well, I don't like to...

My dad used to have a phrase but I'm not sure it translates well from Yorkshire to English:
'I used to chew bread for his fathers ducks', he always said it when discussing links to famous people, for clues to the pronunciation father is pronounced with a flat a rather than the a sound in rather and you obviously drop the h.

As kids we had no idea what he was saying half the time.

my Canadian brain can't wrap my head around that lol!

Apologies to the OP for the slight derailment. :)

Back