First Orange-tip Butterfly of the season....

RedRobin

Dances With Dogs
Name
Robin
Edit My Images
Yes

^ On my knees in a black peat bog to get this shot! Unable to maneouvre for more angles.

Canon 100mm F/2.8 L IS Macro on 7D Mark II, handheld. Click image for more info on Flickr.

^ Portrait crop. [On Flickr]

Comments welcome :)

Last edited:
Lovely shot Robin... saw my first yesterday too. Didn't get a shot as forgot my SD card for camera lol

This is excellent lovely bokeh background which separate the subject from it. Think could have benefited from f11 as you shot at 1/1600s @f8 so plenty of light available, which would have put the wings in full focus :D

Lovely shot Robin... saw my first yesterday too. Didn't get a shot as forgot my SD card for camera lol

This is excellent lovely bokeh background which separate the subject from it. Think could have benefited from f11 as you shot at 1/1600s @f8 so plenty of light available, which would have put the wings in full focus :D

....Cheers, Bryn :)

I think you are right about the F/11 rather than F/8 - The exact science of hindsight! However, I was on my knees in shallow wet bog and swaying a bit because I also had to lean forward to get closer, so my thoughts were to keep the shutter speed high to freeze movement but I think you are still right.

Although having said that, F/11 would not have helped the bokeh background, especially on that strong vertical reed - It's always a compromise.

A very nice shot robin I've just treated myself to the canon 100 L macro just got to learn how to get some nice shots

Very nice Robin ....... I have not found one yet that has "settled"

really good colours throughout the image

That's a really nice image Robin, great colour, detail, & good composition.(y)

George.

That's a beaut of a shot mate. Is that 7D ii working out well for you?

....Very well indeed. Whereas you would be very hard pressed indeed to tell any difference in image quality between the Canon 7D2 and 70D (my previous camera), the 7D2 offers far more scope for wildlife (which is all I photograph) and is more durable - My 70D once behaved very erratically when I was caught out in a hail storm. The learning curve is quite steep though but mostly because of discovering which of the customisable options suit you best. I find that the Canon battery grip improves physical handling and balance.

You know what? Now that the twig thingy in the background has been pointed out its distracting me! I would think that 5 minutes in photoshop would sort that.

You know what? Now that the twig thingy in the background has been pointed out its distracting me! I would think that 5 minutes in photoshop would sort that.

....It would stop distracting you but for me it simply doesn't distract enough to merit removing it - I don't feel it's bad enough to spoil the image.

That's a really nice image Robin, great colour, detail, & good composition.(y)

George.

....Thanks, George :)

I have recently changed my RAW editor from Aperture 3.6 (no longer being developed by Apple) to Capture One Pro 8 and its RAW converter engine is very good indeed and is reputed to be better than Lightroom's (which I have never used).

Very nice Robin ....... I have not found one yet that has "settled"

really good colours throughout the image

....Thanks, Bill - I am very pleased with Capture One Pro 8's RAW converter so far.

Butterflies are also known as 'Flutterbies' for good reason! :D And when they do settle it's never clear for how long nor where they decide to settle. Better to let Butterflies come to you rather than try to chase them.

Really nice Robin well done I haven't been able to get one to settle yet but haven't given up!

Back