First picure

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
Ok first photo pictures so please be kind but constructive. Canon 77d 18 - 135. uploaded off phone as trying to source a suitable laptop.

Ok I'll start- :)

Its way over exposed and the feather detail is lost as a result, Its also out of focus and very noisy

Faster shutter speed and smaller aperture will help shot like this - not an easy subject to shoot to be fair - the bright white fools the meter on your camera, something you
need to be aware of and compensate accordingly

heres one of mine as an example of white bird shooting ( Great Egret) f10 @1/1000th sec- ISO 800

Great Egret @ Ham Wall by Les Moxon, on Flickr

Les :)

Last edited by a moderator:
tried a bit of editing on that photo but didn't look right. Sorry

Last edited:
Ok I'll start- :)

Its way over exposed and the feather detail is lost as a result, Its also out of focus and very noisy

Faster shutter speed and smaller aperture will help shot like this - not an easy subject to shoot to be fair - the bright white fools the meter on your camera, something you
need to be aware of and compensate accordingly

heres one of mine as an example of white bird shooting ( Great Egret) f10 @1/1000th sec- ISO 800

Great Egret @ Ham Wall by Les Moxon, on Flickr

All up for advice and constructive criticism. it was literally about the four/fifth photo id ever taken so its a massive learning curve trying to work out what does what. Dont want to use the auto function.

In the interests of being constructive, I'll chip in a tiny (but in my amateur experience very very useful) tip. It's one that lots of people warn against trying to comply with all the time..... Rule of thirds. I think some people don't like the "rule" wording but I think for a beginner it can be a very powerful guide. Try placing the swan further to the right within the frame (if you have enough space to do that without cropping too much that is). In this instance it would end up with the swan looking into the scene more rather than being in it and appearing to look out of it as if something more interesting is happening elsewhere).

Edit: If you look at Lez325's example it may appear at first as though the image is central and doesn't follow the rule of thirds philosophy but actually, there are points of interest created by the bird being tilted resulting in the wing tips being at the top left and bottom right third (or quarter) points.

Last edited:
All up for advice and constructive criticism. it was literally about the four/fifth photo id ever taken so its a massive learning curve trying to work out what does what. Dont want to use the auto function.

That's fair enough- as said a difficult subject to start with a bright white bird :)

I always without exception shoot Manual - gives a proper control the magic triangle

1. Shutter speed
2. Aperture
3. ISO

all of which play a part in creating exposure.

Plenty of YouTube video's on wildlife photography - better still a Photographic buddy to help out with all aspects of Photography, where do you live ( area) ?

maybe someone on this very forum lives close enough to buddy up

If you can't find a local 'buddy' then it is certainly well worth investing some money in a few lessons (in person rather than online would be my suggestion). At least this way you'll learn to control 'what the sensor is getting through the lens' a bit more and you'll gain a greater understanding of how this is affected by aperture/shutter speed/ISO.

With any bird photography you need to practice practice and practice more, then just watch how they move stick your camera on Aperture mode ISO 800 and while you watch the bird start to take some shots. This was with the Canon 70D + Sigma 150-600mm.

View: https://flic.kr/p/NM2mPC

Back