Beginner First Post

Name
Laura
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi I'm Laura, im really new to the world of photography with a DSLR. I'm learning to shoot in manual and my aim is not only to capture fantastic memories of my children but to become really good. I'm interested in natural light photography because I love the soft images captured, this is also handy as I don't have a huge budget to spend on equipment. I'm hoping to get some feedback, I appreciate there is ALOT to learn so please be kind as I already feel nervous to post this (incase there are some unkind people).

How may I improve on some of these images? Im also on flickr username is laura_coxon incase anyone wants to see anything else that I have done. My camera is Nikon D3300 and I am using the standard 18-55mm lens.

//flic.kr/p/vFSN4G]https://farm1.staticflickr.com/484/19485600174_b71646d78e_k.jpg

//flic.kr/p/wDprqT][img]https://farm1.staticflickr.com/510/20113986511_36481918af_k.jpg

//flic.kr/p/wABJkd][img]https://farm1.staticflickr.com/469/20082435226_f06bb0863d_k.jpg

//flic.kr/p/wmmpaA][img]https://farm1.staticflickr.com/343/19921013128_8e747784a7_k.jpg

//flic.kr/p/vFZJWA][img]https://farm1.staticflickr.com/550/19486955454_5f58038ecb_k.jpg

//flic.kr/p/wAJknq][img]https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3716/20083723766_40ba321f2a_k.jpg

//flic.kr/p/wmwcDG][img]https://farm1.staticflickr.com/396/19922925510_4cf010af64_k.jpg

Sorry if these links haven't worked....

I thought I had read how to do it properly, sorry. I just tried to add on what you said but I still haven't got it right :(

0433 has some potential. It's a nice idea and I'd be tempted to play around a little more with different angles and so on. Try using the walkway to lead into the shot a bit more, rather than act as a divider. Shame about the lens flare. Shooting towards the sun will often do this. If you have a lens hood, it's a good idea to use it in such conditions.

The others hmm. Don't do a lot for me. I know you want to learn so I'll try to explain my opinion.

The first, whilst the sky is nice, it has a very underexposed and uninteresting foreground. It also has some sort of object covering the left of the frame (curtain?) and a massive lamp post in it. Had you captured this sky up in the countryside over a lake somewhere, and correctly exposed the whole frame, you'd be onto a winner potentially.

Second, similar to the above. Most of the frame is massively underexposed. The half sign could have been left out of the shot, also the pylon. The whole scene is a bit flat. Try using a dry stone wall to lead into the picture, and shooting from a lower angle rather than head height.

Third, pretty much as above, minus pilons, lamp posts and signs. Can see what you're going for, but that sort of shot is quite hard to actually do and as with the others above, would require multiple exposures rather than just a single one. This is due to the very high dynamic range in all the above situations, which is impossible for a camera to capture in a single exposure, hence the darkness. Exposure bracketing is whats needed and you may wish to study that subject at some point.

Fourth has nothing of real interest that tells a story, it's just some clouds. Might work OK for a computer desktop background.

Fifth one of the sign. Hmm, what was it you wanted to achieve with this one? I'm thinking theres a reason behind it.

Dinosaur photos are the best because they are creative and have a bit better exposure.

Just my 2p.

Lol I've just giggled reading all this. Genuinely I appreciate your feedback, basically i barely have time to take photos with out two year old twins hanging off my legs. I went out relishing my freedom and used my camera in what can only be described as some machine gun massacre in my surroundings within an hour. I appreciate in the main the majority of photos are pretty rubbish I guess I wanted some, any direction and you've given me some so thank you! My agenda was to make pictures for my boys bedroom on their favourite subject, dinosaurs.

Thank you :)

Hi. You need to take into consideration the direction of the light and try and avoid shooting towards the sun in bright light as a starting point. Liking the animal and dinosaur pics - nice creative thinking, but the last one is well over-exposed. 1/80th at iso 200 and f/4.5 in such bright conditions. Using Manual mode, you need to learn to use the light meter in the camera. If its a case of 'point and shoot' while out with the kids, may be stick with P mode for a while? Save Manual mode until you have more 'thinking' time :)

Point very well taken, I think with that shot I was trying to be "more creative" with the light. I kind of wanted to avoid anything other than Manual if I could help it because for me the deep end is where I learn best. The fact you have pointed this out to me I will not reflect on this (if you know what I mean). Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. It genuinely means a lot!

Point very well taken, I think with that shot I was trying to be "more creative" with the light. I kind of wanted to avoid anything other than Manual if I could help it because for me the deep end is where I learn best. The fact you have pointed this out to me I will not reflect on this (if you know what I mean). Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. It genuinely means a lot!

The point about not shooting into the sun is a fair one. That said there are plenty of times when it can work really well, and you may sometimes want to use lens flare creatively - so don't dismiss it completely. Just be aware that you may need a reflector - e.g. a piece of white card - to add a bit of light to the subject, and to restore some contrast in an image editor.

Some of us started with manual so if that's what you're comfortable with go for it. I find that manual mode, in conjunction with spot metering, makes results a lot more predictable & consistent. You could experiment with aperture priority or shutter priority as a halfway house.

Hi. You need to take into consideration the direction of the light and try and avoid shooting towards the sun in bright light as a starting point. Liking the animal and dinosaur pics - nice creative thinking, but the last one is well over-exposed. 1/80th at iso 200 and f/4.5 in such bright conditions. Using Manual mode, you need to learn to use the light meter in the camera. If its a case of 'point and shoot' while out with the kids, may be stick with P mode for a while? Save Manual mode until you have more 'thinking' time :)

That was a complete typo I will reflect on this!! Sorry I don't know why I typed I will not.

The point about not shooting into the sun is a fair one. That said there are plenty of times when it can work really well, and you may sometimes want to use lens flare creatively - so don't dismiss it completely. Just be aware that you may need a reflector - e.g. a piece of white card - to add a bit of light to the subject, and to restore some contrast in an image editor.

Some of us started with manual so if that's what you're comfortable with go for it. I find that manual mode, in conjunction with spot metering, makes results a lot more predictable & consistent. You could experiment with aperture priority or shutter priority as a halfway house.

Thank you! i'm signed up to two courses, a beginners online one and then an intermediate one at a local college in September, the fact that people are raising my awareness for so many possibilities is just fantastic. My first stepping stone is to get to a point where the use of exposure is second nature (like driving my car). The next is to become aware of all the technical aspects and creative composures. Thanks for taking your time to help me :)

Back