First results from a long project.

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
No
Lily la Mer and I have been working on a long running and increasingly eccentric project for a while now... and it's probably going to last another year. The plan is to culminate in an exhibition and blurb book. This is an out-take from our most recent shoot and the first image to go public: we just had to share some of our hard work!

Shot using the Olympus OM-D E-M5 with the Oly 75mm f1.8 at about f4, using with 2 Yn560IIIs at 3/4 power through a 60 inch shoot-through umbrella mounted on a painter's pole with a gel clip spigot, and a second VAL holding the diffuser panel from a 40 inch 5-in-1 reflector to stop direct sun hitting the model. The flashes were gelled with full CTO gels from the Rosco kit.

The colours are pretty much as they came out of the camera, though I did a moderate amount of tweaking in post.

The location was the underside of Southwold Pier; it was in a mixture of direct sun and shade.

I'm not particularly looking for processing critique - this is an out-take - but comments on the lighting will be gratefully received!

Under the pier
by Simon.Carter, on Flickr

Great stuff, the balance between ambient and flash is very good and there is enough on her to make her stand out without it looking false.

I love the fact her eye colours matches the backdrop. very nice.

Lovely image, nice soft lighting. Good catch light in the eye and spot on Depth of field. would be chuffed with this result

Fantastic and vibrant love the dof and the receding posts, models a stunner and beautifully lit.

Nothing to add about processing or lighting, just that those combined with a stunning model and excellent camera skills, have culminated in a magnificent image.

@juggler

What's the project? This anything to do with Mermaids? I've been working on the same project for months if that's the case :)

Looks like you're going for a fashiony angle... I'm going documentary, so would be interesting to see where we end up.. unless of course I've got the wrong end of the stick.

lighting is very well managed.... nicely done.

Last edited:
@juggler

What's the project? This anything to do with Mermaids? I've been working on the same project for months if that's the case :)

Looks like you're going for a fashiony angle... I'm going documentary, so would be interesting to see where we end up.. unless of course I've got the wrong end of the stick.

lighting is very well managed.... nicely done.

Thank you.. while Lily La Mer does work as a professional mermaid and I have shot her in that guise that's not what we're doing this time... I'll PM you with the details 'cos we're not quite ready to go public.

Back