First results from my new studio space

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
No
It's taken a while to get set up in a new space since the last studio I shared shut down. I'm now sharing a dance / yoga studio - and while it's possible to put backdrops up and do the usual (!) I wanted to see whether it was possible to incorporate the charming features of the space in a pic.

It's going to take a bit of refinement to get the hang of it.. but I'm pleased with this for a first outing:

Dancing in spun gold
by Simon Carter, on Flickr

I suspect that including the reflection was a piece of cleverness too far which doesn't really add to the image. As ever, all useful thoughts welcome!

I like the reflection, and the lighting, and the dancers action pose is great. The background and ceiling lights are distracting - would be great if its possible to light the subject only and have a dark, underexposed background?

I like the reflection, and the lighting, and the dancers action pose is great. The background and ceiling lights are distracting - would be great if its possible to light the subject only and have a dark, underexposed background?
Thanks!

It would be possible to have a pure dark background - and in fact it would be much easier than balancing the ambient with flash but keeping the dancer sharp. However.. I feel like I've done that already and I'm looking to add some context & a sense of richness to the stuff I make.

I've obviously got a little way to go!

Last edited:
I'm trying to figure out why I don't like the BG either, because it looks a great space. I wonder if it draws too much attention from the dancer, who seems to just happens to be there in the room instead of the room being a space for her to be performing in. There are lots of lines, some stronly coloured shapes, smudgy shadows from the lightshades, plus gold-honey coloured floor, all competing with a figure that blends in. If I view at full size in flickr then it becomes obvious what the room is & why she's there, and she also separates much better from the background, but in the small image presented it doesn't work.

I wonder if lightening the room to make the dancer stand out more would be more effective, but I appreciate that would be technically challenging without also creating a lot of shadows.

And yes, it's a fantstic pose and capture of the dancer.

The reason we don't like the background is because it doesn't add anything. And I mean this nicely. It's an empty room that doesn't tell a story of the person or the photograph. If it was on a stage it would be amazing with backgrounds etc. It's a fantastic capture and pose but ideally for me it needed a black or white background to make it stand out. Great photo though

Some "nice" technical challenges there. However the room itself is not interesting. It is too "bitty"
It is not exactly what Degas would have chosen. Though looking at his work might give some clues as to how to make the most of a large dance space.

Back