First roll of film... ever!

Name
Steven
Edit My Images
Yes
I got my first two rolls of film developed today :D:D It was just some cheap Poudland film but I'm quite happy with the results. I missed focus on a lot of the shots, but I think that was just me getting used to the focusing system of the camera. A few of them also look like I haven't advanced the film fully between shots (they have a line down the left hand side) but I'm not sure if that's the reason for it not. I'm presuming they're straight from the scanner with no editing (I haven't edited them).

by Steven Fergus, on Flickr

There seems to be something wrong - that woman keeps showing up in your pics.

I really like no 3 but the composition could have been better - less space at the RHS.
Getting to grips with manual focus and film, composition, shutter speed, aperture keeps you busy :)

Reactions: MDR
There seems to be something wrong - that woman keeps showing up in your pics.

I really like no 3 but the composition could have been better - less space at the RHS.
Getting to grips with manual focus and film, composition, shutter speed, aperture keeps you busy :)

I like to point my camera at her as much as I can, it's the only way I can get her to smile ;) (If she ever reads this, I'm joking! :exit:).

The composition could be getting in all of them I think, most of them are just snapshots for me to get to grips with the camera. I can see myself using it mostly for portraits and keeping my DSLR for landscapes.

It's quite a learning process - no chance of chimping and seeing what can be improved until you've had the film developed - so you have to anticipate and get it right first time.

Pretty good first attempt at film Steven, and interesting to see how it reacts in different lighting conditions. It has gone pretty red under indoor lighting in the 3rd one, unless she was just under the sunbed! Focussing can be a bit difficult if it's manual, but AF should be just as accurate as digital. There's a learning curve for film to be sure, but it's fun finding out. (y)

It's quite a learning process - no chance of chimping and seeing what can be improved until you've had the film developed - so you have to anticipate and get it right first time.
I think that's what I like about it; you have to think more about every shot before you press the shutter and then wait until the film is developed to see the results. It slows the whole process down.

Pretty good first attempt at film Steven, and interesting to see how it reacts in different lighting conditions. It has gone pretty red under indoor lighting in the 3rd one, unless she was just under the sunbed! Focussing can be a bit difficult if it's manual, but AF should be just as accurate as digital. There's a learning curve for film to be sure, but it's fun finding out. (y)

Thanks Peter. Yeah it definitely seems to have gone slightly reddish indoors. I can't be 100% certain but I'm sure I shot that at 1/15th second. I'm using a Practika MTL 50 with a Pentacon 50mm 1.8 lens, so it's an all manual camera. I don't think the focusing system makes it obvious when it's correctly focused, so it takes me a bit of time!

Ah, the joys of manual microprism focussing. I've been trying out a couple of older manual SLRs recently and they're great when there is a straight line to split, but probably not so good on the human face.

Good stuff :) Welcome to the whacky world of Filmville :)

An excellent first roll by the looks of it. I agree with the comments above about the technical stuff, but you have an appealing model and a good eye, carry on the good work.

It won't be long before you start thinking about your next camera I suspect. We're here for you. :hug::D

Great results on your first roll of film! Keep up shooting film, I'm excited to see more :)

Back