First shots in new home Studio

After falling in love with my new (to me) Nikon F3 and film, I dug out the digital camera and had a go at shooting a Product a few days ago (taken using a old manual focus Nikkor 105 f2.5 AiS lens that I absolutely love!):

number47-192 by Fraser White, on Flickr

(P.S. Still think the Digital Nikon D4 is great as well - can't bring myself to sell it and go completely 'old school')

Last edited:
This is turning out to be a great thread with some great images and excellent constructive critique from Kodiak, I've enjoyed following it, more please :)

A good friend has started a business for Dog Boarding (She looks after other peoples dogs at her home whilst they go on holiday). She asked me if I could photograph the 'well behaved' dogs so she can turn them into 'Thank You' cards this will hopefully get the repeat business from the owners.

Here is One year old Freddie:

Freddie 2 by Fraser White, on Flickr

Last edited:

Love the Labs… cool dude and very successful take, Fraser! (y)(y)(y)

This is turning out to be a great thread with some great images and excellent constructive critique from Kodiak, I've enjoyed following it, more please :)

Thank you so much for this; this type of comment is very inspiring & yes Kodiak's patience/feedback have been superb! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: TG.

I'm with TG on this. These kind of threads made me to sign up a few days ago to this excellent forum, so as a beginner I can learn a lot.
Gentlemen, keep'em coming!

I'm with TG on this. These kind of threads made me to sign up a few days ago to this excellent forum, so as a beginner I can learn a lot.
Gentlemen, keep'em coming!

Thank you for the interest in this thread - I hope over time people will be able to see a development in my shots and also show that a small home studio is of some use :)

Another dog portrait in the studio. I find lighting a black dog quite difficult at the moment :-(

This was taken with a softbox directly overhead (1/2 power) with another softbox at 45 deg. to camera left (1/8 power) then a grided light high and behind the subject at camera right. (1/4 power)

Feedback appreciated :)

10 by Fraser White, on Flickr

Last edited:

Light ratios are pretty cool but the rim that is too hot
to my taste, Fraser.!

This is a brilliant thread :) I've also been inspired to try some studio shots by Gavin Hoey's YouTube videos so it's great to see how someone else has been walking that path ahead of me. Keep the shots coming Fraser.

Shot taken for the June 2018 Film Photographer of the year competition (Subject entitled Airborne)

Airborne by Fraser White, on Flickr

Rolleiflex 6003 Professional, Rollei 80mm f2.8 Planar, Kodak Porta 160 film. (Home developed & scanned)

The Log book in the picture is my late fathers WW2 navigators log book

(please note original was removed - never edit pictures in a dark room when your monitor is calibrated to have the light on; the image becomes very dark when viewed in daylight!!)

Thanks Kodiak - again awesome feedback :)

Last edited:

Hi Fraser. interesting objects collection and colour scheme in this.

I notice though that this work does not reflect the previous quality
featured in other shots. Here, IMO, all the problems I see could've
been taken care off prior to SR. Sorry, buddy, but this is a few steps
back compared to other successful efforts… just me. :cool:

Fraser Euan White said:
Please feel free to post - the feedback is always extremely helpful :)

airborne.jpg

-

Last edited:
First go at Macro photography today using a film camera; not being able to see the results instantly made it interesting!

Captured as the match starts to ignite:

Match 1 by Fraser White, on Flickr

Rolleiflex 6003, Rollei PQ 80mm f2.8 Planar, Ilford Delta 100 (Flash Metz 45 CL4)

Last edited:
First go at Macro photography today using a film camera; not being able to see the results instantly made it interesting!

Rolleiflex 6003, Rollei PQ 80mm f2.8 Planar, Ilford Delta 100 (Flash Metz 45 CL4)

Love this, using film to take time critical shots like this looks like a great project!

I love images like this and I find this an excellent example.

As soon as I’m a bit better I’m planning on some shots like this. I’ve ordered some matches with coloured heads and I have also got some black matchsticks with different coloured heads too.

.....and here is the 'roll back' for the above shot:

Roll back by Fraser White, on Flickr

Overhead softbox containing a Godox T865 to provide lighting for the main subject. A Godox AD360 under the table (you can just see it's battery) that was covered in a red/yellow gel to light the grey background paper.

Last edited:
Great thread, i'm not sure how I miss this. :)

Great thread, i'm not sure how I miss this. :)

Thanks Rick - I struggle with time and ability to get out and about with a camera so decided to convert my small single garage into a little studio - it is great fun and I am trying to learn from it :)

Here is an Image I submitted for the Film POTY competiton. The subject was 'Little & Large'

I decided I wanted something more than one Little and one Large object but was struggling to think of anything until one late evening browsing the internet I thought of Russian Nesting Dolls. (No,No,No - not Sex Dolls Honest!)

I didn't have any so I phoned a friend who said he did.

Fantastic - the Dolls were of the Beatles which fitted the theme IMO in two ways (Little Band grew into Big band).

I wanted to use the Rolleicord TLR to record the image as it was the same 'vintage' as the Beatles but had to get it working with modern studio flash.

The subject was lit using a large softbox above and behind them as the main light which kept the background (grey paper) black. and a grided strip box running parallel with them to provide detail in the subject and add reflections on the black perspex.

I set the camera to B and opened the shutter whilst I fired the flashes manually and individually.

@Garry Edwards free lighting booked helped significantly with this shot (I'm sure it's not a good example though Garry) and a big thanks for his lighting eBook which is superb!

Little & Large by Fraser White, on Flickr

Shot using a Rolleicord VB on Ilford HP5 film

Last edited:
Just read through this thread - really enjoyable and some lovely images!

Thank you for posting.

Back