First signs of Winter - North Wales

Name
Rory
Edit My Images
Yes
On Sunday morning I decided to take my dog up for a walk up one of the old slate inclines at Blaenau Ffestiniog. I soon realised that I should have set off for the Ogwen Valley as there was more snow on the mountain tops than I had originally thought.

This was the compromise. Taken with the 100-400 mk2 at 214mm Canon 5d4

Manod Incline wheelhouse by Rory Trappe, on Flickr

Last edited:
Nice! It was lovely up there on the weekend, I climbed Snowdon on Saturday, that was fun...

Had my best photos on Sunday morning though the light was amazing! OMG was it busy though :(

Yes, the light was near perfect. I have seen a few shots that were taken from the Crib Goch ridge !!!

There was more snow that side but I went that way a few weeks ago so did the Watkins path up this time and the west side of Watkins on the way down.

Can't wait to back whenever I get another clear weekend.

There's a sense of completeness for me in seeing that photo tonight:

1. I walked to the top of Bickerton Hill in South Cheshire on Sunday and could see the snow covered Welsh mountains from there.

2. My great grandfather worked at the Oakeley Quarry at Blaenau Ffestiniog, which was the largest underground slate mine in the world. Sadly he died of Silicosis in his early 60s because of the slate dust he inhaled during his working life. Apparently slate dust is renown for this as the particles are so sharp and jagged they injure the lungs, resulting in the growth of scar tissue (Silicosis). What chance had the man got? One of his jobs was to set the explosive charges, and thus he was one of the first back at the scene to make sure the charges had detonated properly, most likely well before the dust had settled. The compensation he received for contracting this fatal lung disease? A few shillings more in his pay packet each week until he died. Apparently, he was well aware of just how ill he was, stating the night before he died "This will be the last time I climb these stairs to bed" and that he wasn't afraid of dying... "It's just the fear of the unknown". Austerity? They don't know the bloody meaning of the word these days!

3. A short while before seeing your photo I was looking through some of my photos and found some pictures I'd taken a few years ago of my great grandfather's terraced house in Blaenau Ffestiniog. Something of a coincidence.

And all those memories from looking at a few photos... that's the power of photography. (y)

It’s very nice, I just wonder if you could have got beyond the slate (?) at the bottom of the frame so you could have a cleaner composition? With the objects at the edge my eyes are being pulled down a bit. But otherwise a very pretty scene.

Lovely Rory, a special time of year ahead for photography. The light on the hills is magical.

Blown away, love this shot Rory and has prompted me to clear my diary start of January to visit Snowdonia again. I get withdrawal symptoms not being there!

There's a sense of completeness for me in seeing that photo tonight:

1. I walked to the top of Bickerton Hill in South Cheshire on Sunday and could see the snow covered Welsh mountains from there.

2. My great grandfather worked at the Oakeley Quarry at Blaenau Ffestiniog, which was the largest underground slate mine in the world. Sadly he died of Silicosis in his early 60s because of the slate dust he inhaled during his working life. Apparently slate dust is renown for this as the particles are so sharp and jagged they injure the lungs, resulting in the growth of scar tissue (Silicosis). What chance had the man got? One of his jobs was to set the explosive charges, and thus he was one of the first back at the scene to make sure the charges had detonated properly, most likely well before the dust had settled. The compensation he received for contracting this fatal lung disease? A few shillings more in his pay packet each week until he died. Apparently, he was well aware of just how ill he was, stating the night before he died "This will be the last time I climb these stairs to bed" and that he wasn't afraid of dying... "It's just the fear of the unknown". Austerity? They don't know the bloody meaning of the word these days!

3. A short while before seeing your photo I was looking through some of my photos and found some pictures I'd taken a few years ago of my great grandfather's terraced house in Blaenau Ffestiniog. Something of a coincidence.

And all those memories from looking at a few photos... that's the power of photography. (y)

A sad tale indeed and it just makes me think how the hand of fortune (often from birth) dictates our experiences. I could never understand why families in mining areas were 'proud' that their sons 'went down the pit' but I suspect there was no alternative. When people moan about their 'lot in life'' when infact they are in a comfortable position they need to think about about people like your grandfather. I see the mine closed in March 2010 due to the high risk of subsidence.There were many incidents and a Great Fall on February 16 1883 dislodging 6.5 million tons of rock.

Back