First Studio Commission (more added)

Name
Kris
Edit My Images
No
So I managed to get a commission on my studio work along the lines of the work I showed last time. Like peas in a pod but they're happy with them..

39168893155_13fc72343f_b.jpg

40087136871_e04fdfab79_b.jpg

So the question is: leave as is, or crop into her hand to below dads hand to bring attention to the top?

40059610672_a20dc443c8_b.jpg

Much happier with my mono conversions lately, think I'm slowly getting it.

28374303519_1f74395375_b.jpg

Last edited:
Re #3, I would extend the crop to just below the girls hands, and leave it as that. So not even as tight as you've gone at the mo.

You could always extend the canvas to the right a tad and give them some negative space by positioning them on the left third possibly ?

Like them a lot anyway

Chris

Great job Kris. Love the mono conversion.

How did the shoot feel, given that this was commissioned? Are you happy with them?

Looks like the start of hopefully more commissions [emoji1474]

Lovely work Kris, I can see a certain style now which is recognisable as your work.
Well done and good luck for more commissions.

These look great Kris. Well done. I would leave number 3 as it is.They will be well chuffed with them.

Really liking the flyaway hair :)

Colour is my thing and these work soooooo well.

Gaz

Re #3, I would extend the crop to just below the girls hands, and leave it as that. So not even as tight as you've gone at the mo.

You could always extend the canvas to the right a tad and give them some negative space by positioning them on the left third possibly ?

Like them a lot anyway

Chris

Thanks Chris.

I think these are beautifully taken set of photos Kris, really do like the father daughter one :)

I really like that one too.

What a little cutie! Well done on these.

Thanks Paul.

Great job Kris. Love the mono conversion.

How did the shoot feel, given that this was commissioned? Are you happy with them?

Looks like the start of hopefully more commissions [emoji1474]

Yes I am happy overall, it's a positive step forward. There's things that I could have done better for sure. I've not shot 3 people in my living room before and so was conscious of the lack of room. I bought a 135cm octa for the family shots but was very big in my living room, probably could have gotten away with my 100cm. For the family stuff I really could do with more seating to get them on the same level without awkwardly lying down, some posing tubs would be ideal, not cheap, but if I do get a few more bookings it's worth considering. I only have one stool at the moment and so props are definitely an investment I shall need to make. I'll post some others below with my own critique.

Lovely work Kris, I can see a certain style now which is recognisable as your work.
Well done and good luck for more commissions.

Thanks Iain. To be fair this lady booked me on the back of the last lot I did and so wanted similar.

These look great Kris. Well done. I would leave number 3 as it is.They will be well chuffed with them.

Really liking the flyaway hair :)

Colour is my thing and these work soooooo well.

Gaz

Thanks Gaz. I do like getting the hairdryer out, gives mum something to do too lol.

I'll add these for a little critique of my own.

#5 - Started by standing everyone up but I wished I had have noted dads hands, not perfect by a good way.

40201857731_9bcfab7c44_b.jpg

#6 - So I sat them down and it started to look a bit better.

40201857611_26131082a5_b.jpg

#7 - The obvious, done-to-death approach is lying everyone down, but it really was quite cramped and awkward. I was fastidious with the hands in this one and took my time. I didn't really drop the light low enough, which was a bit unwieldy on the boom stand, need to play with that some more.

40201857531_8e85fb9984_b.jpg

#8 - I do like this and there's a good series of shots that work together but the light wasn't spot on, needed to be lower.

40201857461_db0510cbd0_b.jpg

#9 - Mum really was feeling awkward and so this was the first thing that they came together with. I'm so-so with it.

25330282017_7e7530a4f4_b.jpg

#10 - Mum & dad were struggling and so although they wanted a shot together, I had to work to get a few laughs and this happened.

40201857281_b98f90f3cf_b.jpg

Last edited:
“Cracking” set of portraits Sir, nuff said.(y)

George.

Great Kris. I really appreciate you letting us know your thought process. That is an area you seldom get to read about.

Gaz

Great Kris. I really appreciate you letting us know your thought process. That is an area you seldom get to read about.

Gaz

You’re welcome Gaz. Only my logical thoughts really as posing families isn’t something I’ve done much of at all yet. I didn’t think the dad was that tall until I stood them together. I think in one of them I had him spread his legs a bit to lower him.

Lovely images Kris. It really helps that the family's wardrobe colours compliment each other and the backdrop. Talking of which, what size backdrop did you use? And what material? Keep up the good work!

Lovely images Kris. It really helps that the family's wardrobe colours compliment each other and the backdrop. Talking of which, what size backdrop did you use? And what material? Keep up the good work!

Thanks Nick. I’m glad my direction on wardrobe worked out too, always in their hands a little there, although encourage a few changes. It’s just a standard roll of colorama charcoal grey but cut down a bit to 2.2M which is the largest I can get into my living room.

Hi good set dude I like them. Did you just use one light trying to figure out if there is any more than the big one?
I'm shooting today with a 1.3 octobox in my living room and like you I'm wondering if it's too big now. My ceiling's aren't high.

Hi good set dude I like them. Did you just use one light trying to figure out if there is any more than the big one?
I'm shooting today with a 1.3 octobox in my living room and like you I'm wondering if it's too big now. My ceiling's aren't high.

There’s a mix of one light and with a kicker. Large softboxes are too big generally for a typical 8ft ceiling but sat down or lying down is do-able.

Lovely!

One comment only - when people do big smiles without showing their teeth it looks like they're trying to hide their teeth. I reckon it's usually better to show them no matter how self conscious they are - or ask them not to smile at all.

I didn’t notice it too much at the time tbh. However, I now know that she broke a tooth and so is conscious of it.

Last edited:
I like all of them, well done!

really nice set, the ones of the daughter on her own are really good as is the one of the father and daughter, the others i like but those are my favourites

A like the way they holding hands on #3

Job well done I'd say :) Lovely set of images Kris.

Thanks All.

Just one last one that I really felt was an awkward pose but seems to be a favourite with mum. I do prefer the mono version.

26670857068_666043c538_b.jpg

Thanks mate, seem to be. They’ve had a load of framed prints which should turn up tomorrow so really looking forward to seeing those.
All really, really nice mate. The B&W of the girl on her own is easily my favourite..... it's beautiful.

All really, really nice mate. The B&W of the girl on her own is easily my favourite..... it's beautiful.

Cheers, it’s my favourite too. She’s had a giclee framed print at 30x24 done of that one so can’t wait to see it in print.

Cheers, it’s my favourite too. She’s had a giclee framed print at 30x24 done of that one so can’t wait to see it in print.
NOTHING beats a big print! I'm waiting on three 20 x 16's coming and it's more exciting than Xmas! [emoji4]

Back