Critique First Test Photo's SOOC Raw to JPG, testing the KR800 Twin Flash Unit

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
No
Just picked a few hours ago the KuangRen KR800 Twin Flash Unit, courtesy of LAOWA Venus & UK Digital.

I've done nothing with the following photos apart from my usual clarity, contrast, and levels adjustments, but what I wanted to see is how the two heads used their light from either side of the subjects, straight out of the box with the default settings on the flashgun.

This is not ETTL or anything fancy, so all adjustments are made by pressing a couple of buttons to reduce or increase the power of the flash output.

So, ignoring the quality of my focus, content, composition, editing skills (or lack of them) these are to look at to see how the flash illuminates - the spread and evenness of the light. No diffusion, just the moveable heads yanked to different positions a few inches away from the lens, left and right. The power is quite substantial - most of these had the flash heads around 4 to 6 inches either side of the camera.

When I have time, I will do more with diffusion etc and power outputs, but safe to say, this afternoons shots were hurried, cos it is bloody freezing for late April and I had no coat on. My hands were perishing cold and the wind was strong and nothing like what we should be out in!

All in the corner of the garden on the rockery, except for the first one which is the TV remote (needs dusting off) to test that the kit even fired!

All these at f/11 (might have one at f/8) and 1/125sec at ISO125. No cropping at all, exactly as seen through the viewfinder (well, live view screen...) :)

1024kr01.jpg

1024kr02.jpg

1024kr03.jpg

1024kr05.jpg

1024kr06.jpg

1024kr07.jpg

Paul.

Seems to do the job ok but most flashes need some diffusion. There appear to be a few hotspots on the moss and the woodlouse. I'm currently using a piece of flexible packing foam with my mt24. It is the simplest diffusion I've used to date and one of the best. hth!

Thanks Paul. That looks very, very interesting. I can see me getting one of these to use with my 70D and achromats (on an extending lens, which complicates flash arrangements). So far I haven't used flash successfully with the 70D which is why I'm still using my FZ200 for flash work. This might just do the trick.

Do you think the flexible arms could handle the extra weight of diffusers?

I see UK Digital don't have any in stock at the moment, but the site says 5-7 days.

I'll be following your experience with this with great interest.

@GardenersHelper Nick - my sample (which I hope to keep, but don't know yet) arrived on Tuesday at UKD. I think they may have had more, but cannot say for sure as the chap there didn't say as such. First thing to say though is that the flexible arms are their second version - being stronger than the first build, but they are ungainly, and it will take a bit of getting used to them and the position on top the camera. When I was doing the springtails, the clematis plant above the rockery often got caught in them and I had to ease the thin branches out of the way. Said arms will take light diffusion with no problems I would say, and the heads are small (about 2 inches across and an inch deep) so foam, opaque plastic, most anything will sit on them OK. I will do some myself in time and show them in place.

Paul.

This fly was on the wall outside, which meant the two flash heads were actually touching the brickwork. However - for this the heads were in front and behind the fly but I have a thin piece of packing foam (the flash came with blocks of it glued together, and this is a single slice as it were from one of the blocks) stuck across the heads to see if it helped the light:

1024kr08.jpg

A crop of the head as well - just helps show how much detail the Venus lens can render - & btw, this was with a 13mm tube attached.

1024kr08crop.jpg

Paul.

Last edited:
@GardenersHelper Nick - my sample (which I hope to keep, but don't know yet) arrived on Tuesday at UKD. I think they may have had more, but cannot say for sure as the chap there didn't say as such. First thing to say though is that the flexible arms are their second version - being stronger than the first build, but they are ungainly, and it will take a bit of getting used to them and the position on top the camera. When I was doing the springtails, the clematis plant above the rockery often got caught in them and I had to ease the thin branches out of the way. Said arms will take light diffusion with no problems I would say, and the heads are small (about 2 inches across and an inch deep) so foam, opaque plastic, most anything will sit on them OK. I will do some myself in time and show them in place.

Paul.

Thanks Paul. Ungainly I can deal with - I've used stranger rigs. For example :D

IMG_0205 PS1 PSS1
by gardenersassistant, on Flickr

With the KX800 I can see the arms getting caught up in things for sure, but I can also see them letting me get light to places I couldn't otherwise reach. Not just subjects in places that are awkward to illuminate because of the configuration of foliage for example, but also the possibility of simultaneously using one light to illuminate (or fill) the subject and the other to illuminate the background a bit.

Ummm I'm not sure what to think light looks ok in some and then blowing all over the place in others... guess this could be user error :eek: (why they didnt give it to someone that knows how to use manual I'll never know ;) :p lol)

Diffusion is going to be a must I think you need to find some go to settings for certain magnification then test again, aim for slight underexposure first then build from there.

How long do you think the arms would last with all the bending, they obviously have had issues with Version 1 of the product.

Good morning young man. (Want to get another birthday in do you? ) :ROFLMAO:

It's user error for sure. Judging the intensity and having the lights in the right place is the learning curve. Diffusion will be tried over time.

The arms feel rigid but quite stiff. How long before they give up is anyone's guess.

Positioning the arms is harder than I thought - if you're in position with the lens, adjusting the light heads can and will disturb your subjects.

Paul.

Back